thirty-one

Damian

I sat downstairs at Naomi's counter with Melanie while Naomi took a shower upstairs. Her mom was downstairs with us, trying to figure out our plan after the dance was over.

"So, Damian," Tara begins. "You've been spending a lot of time over here, not that I mind, but it everything good at home?"

So that's where Naomi gets it from.

I let out a sigh and run through my hair, "I mean, yes, I guess. I'm just having some problems with my mom and things."

"It must be awkward for you, living with Naomi's dad when you two are dating."

My head shot up, "You know we're dating?"

Tara rolls her eyes, "Oh please boy, of course, I know. I knew as soon as you walked into my house."

"Turns out you did get into her pants," Melanie cackles.

I glare at her, "Shut up, Melanie."

A thumping from the stairs stops my bickering with Melanie. Naomi rounds the corner of the stairwell, using a t-shirt to dry her hair. The normally curly strands fell into a wavy pattern, the water weighing it down. The excess water dripped onto her Scooby-Doo crop too she wore, all the way to my gray sweats.

"Wow, you all just got really quiet," She announces. "Did I interrupt something."

Tara shakes her head, "Of course not, I'm just admiring my baby girl." Ms. Johnson rounds the counter and places multiple kisses on Naomi, causing Naomi to fall to the floor.

"Mom," She laughs. "Quit it!"

"Fine if you won't accept my love, I'll give it to Melanie."

Melanie holds her hands up in defense as Tara headed for her, abandoning Naomi on the floor. Naomi laughs as she watches her friend and mom have their moment but I'm watching her.

"Hey loser, you gonna reject my love too," I ask her, spinning around in my chair.

"You're hilarious, Parker," Naomi responds. "But no I won't do that to you."

I bend down to her level to place a kiss on her cheek before standing back to my natural height. She follows my actions and continues to dry her hair.

"Hey, shouldn't you all get ready? The dance is in three hours." Tara looks at the clock that hung in the living room, reminding us of the dance.

"Do you mind if I get ready here," I ask. "I don't think I want to go home."

"I mean, I don't have a problem with it; do you have your stuff?"

I nod and Tara gives me the go-ahead to get my stuff out of my truck. When I came back inside, the girls were upstairs and I decided to lay down in Naomi's bed.

"You going to get ready," Naomi asks, sitting on the bed.

"I'm a boy. It takes me less time to get ready in the time that you do your hair."

"That's true. Xavier will be here soon so you can have a buddy to hang out with."

I sit up and pull her close to me, "I want to hang out with you though."

Her legs fell over top of mine as she laid into my body, "We'll be with each other the whole night, Damian."

"It's not the same," I groan, playing with the hair that was almost fully dried. 

"You'll live, Damian," She says getting out of my lap.

"You better not do anything to your hair!"