twenty

Naomi

I stood behind the counter bored, my head in the palm of my hand as I watched two customers fill the dining space. Even though today is Lana's birthday, I can't take off from work. Ever since my dad left, more than two months ago now, I've been taking care of some of the income for the house and with Melanie staying with my mom and me, I have to put extra work in to bring money in.

My coworker, Teddy, worked to clean off the back counter, in an attempt to keep himself busy. We met eyes and so quickly looked away. He stops cleaning and puts the rag in the dishwasher in the back.

"Well this is a fun way to spend a Saturday," he says, sitting on the stool beside me, spinning around and around.

I sigh out of boredom, "I'd rather be anywhere except here."

"Yeah, but at least we have an hour. Then I'm off to a party for my girlfriend."

At first, I wasn't truly listening to the conversation Teddy was making, but when I heard a party and girlfriend, I had to assume he was talking about the party at my place tonight.

"Is your girlfriend, Lana Matthews by chance?"

Teddy stops spinning and turns to face me, "Yes?"

"I'll see you there then, the party's at my place."

Teddy nods, "How do you know Lana?"

I shrug my arms. "I knew her brother Xavier first and then we started hanging out and then I met Lana. Wait, are you a junior too, like Lana?"

He nods, "Yeah I don't go to the same school as her though."

"Yeah, I know."

The hour passes fast and I hang up my apron alongside Teddys. We both exit the store and I run up to Damian's car. He sat there, gently bobbing to the music that played. I knock on his window softly, not wanting to freak him out; well, more than I wanted to. Ever since I slept over at his house, he's been acting funny and I'm not sure what the cause of it is.

He looks up to see me and he quickly unlocks the door.

"Hey," He greets me. "How was work?"

I sigh, "It was good." Then I realize the news I uncovered. "Did you know that Lana had a boyfriend?"

Damian nods, "Yeah, she was telling me how we were going to get to meet him." Damian pulls out of the parking lot.

"Well, I actually work with him."

Damian's eyes widen, "Teddy? That's him?"

I nod, "Yeah, dude. I was surprised too."

We fall into a comfortable silence as we drove to the local store. After my shift, everyone agrees to meet back at my place at five-thirty. When we arrived, me and Damian split up to find what we each need for the party. Since Xavier and Melanie got what they both needed yesterday, I head to the drink aisle, while Damian picks up some drinks. Our town is small which leads us to know when and where everyone is working that day. Today, Isla was working, a hookup for all things party-wise. She was the only one in store and we didn't have to worry about any adults coming out here... well at least the sane ones.