Chapter Seventy Four: Dragonglass

The moment the wagons of Dragonglass arrived, the smiths were put to work with their hammers to forge weapons and trenches were already underway.

Tents flooded the fields outside the Winterfell walls with Unsullied stationed at nearly every corner. More strongholds would arrive with their people adding to the influx of growing people in Winterfell.

Gendry was quick to catch a piece of dragonglass that rolled off the back of a wagon. "Careful, we need every bit we can get." he handed the stone to another man.

"Sorry 'bout that." replied the man shovelling the dragonglass on the wagon.

"Is this the last of the carts?" asked Gendry.

"Yes."

"We'll get them to the forges immediately." he instructed the men. As he turned away from the wagon his breath hitched in the cold air and his heart fluttered. Across the yard was none other than Aris Stark ordering workers about the plans for the trenches to be built around Winterfell. She looked heavenly standing in the snow, her pale skin contrasted her long dark hair that was let loose in a braid around the crown of her head, unlike the buns she used to wear years ago. She hadn't changed since the day the Red Woman took him away.

Gendry's heart beat harshly and stepped forward to go to her, but he stopped when she turned to reveal the mound of her stomach under her dress and cloak. He paused and the excitement in his heart died. Obviously she had forgotten him, moved on, married a man and now she carries his child.

A cold breath escaped him and the smile fell from his face and he turned back to the wagons of dragonglass. His chest twisted horribly. He felt horrible. There wasn't a moment that went by where he didn't think about her. All his time hiding in Kings Landing, he spent thinking about Aris. Even when Davos came to Kings Landing asking him to come with him to Winterfell, he didn't hesitate in leaving. Now he was truly crushed.

More days went by and the Karstarks were next to arrive with more food and people and Alys Karstark at the lead.

The Northerners still didn't trust Daenerys, they may never, but they remained loyal to Jon. Randyl on the other hand, would clean Daenerys' feet if it meant a ride on a dragon. He had forgotten his training and taken to the books to read about the history of the Targaryen's and dragons, to which Aris instructed he could read at night and train during the day. He was tempted everyday to leave the safety of Winterfell and track down the dragons which he could see lurking in the distance; just to touch one.

Aris greeted Alys Karstark in the courtyard, welcoming her into Winterfell and ordering for what food they brought to be put into the stores. She was finding it harder everyday to walk far with the enormous size of her stomach. Maester Wolkon informed she may be due in weeks time and the thought frightened her.

Randyl had begged and begged Aris to speak with Daenerys to ask if he could touch a dragon. He begged so much she gave in. The issue was was that she never got the chance since Daenerys was always with Jon on errands around Winterfell and she was much to slow to keep up.

There was something going on between them. The entirety of Winterfell could see that. Who could blame Jon, she was beautiful. Sansa however already voiced her displeasure to Aris.

"Have you asked her yet?" Randyl jogged to catch up with Aris.

"No."

"Why?"

"She's outside the walls, I don't have the strength to walk that far threw snow."

"Can I ask her then?"