Chapter 35- The Trial (Part 1)

Peter soon came back in and people started to arrive for the trial.

"Come on its time to go in." Jay said encouragingly.

"You'll be fine kiddo. Look at one of us during the trial not Reagan ok?" Voight said patting her on the back and Addison nodded as she walked in.

The trial had been going on for around an hour and most of the witnesses had spoken on the stand including Jay, Antonio and Voight. Antonio had gone because he fired the shot that almost killed Reagan, Voight because he had led the unit on the case and Jay because he had also been a victim.

Finally it was Addison's turn.

"Your honour I call Addison Halstead to the stand." Peter said once the trial had been going on for a little while. Judge Barnes nodded and Addison walked up and sat behind the stand nervously trying not to look at Reagan.

First Peter asked her questions like he had done pre-trial, all which she could answer. Then it was the defence's turn.

"Addison I'm going to start by saying I'm very sorry for what you and your family have supposedly gone through." Miss Gray the defence attorney started as she stood up.

"Thank you Ma'am but with all due respect...we didn't supposedly go through anything. What happened was real." Addison stated.

"So you say Addison. Now tell me is it true that your brother, Detective Jay Halstead shot and killed Jackson Reagan, the defendant's brother." Miss Gray said.

"That's not put into context. Jay had to he's a police officer that's his job." Addison said.

"Yes or no?" Miss Gray pushed.

"That's not right." Addison protested.

"Your honour." Miss Gray said in annoyance.

"Be more specific please Miss Gray and answer the question please Addison." Judge Barnes said to Addie.

"Yes my brother did shoot Jackson Reagan." Addison said.

"Right and when did you find this out?" Miss Gray said.

"I found out the night that Cody Reagan held us hostage. When they were shouting and then Reagan said it. First of all I was disoriented from being pistol whipped so I didn't hear or understand what he said, but Jay explained to me later on why Reagan was after him." Addison explained.

"So if your brother didn't tell you till then was he ashamed of what he had done?" Miss Gray responded quickly.

"Of course he was." Addison started by saying to everyone's surprise unsure of what she was about to say. "My Brother's a cop and a damn good one. He wasn't ashamed because he thought it was a crime to shoot Reagan! He was ashamed because my brother taught me that no cop wants to make that choice. To kill. They only do that if anyone else's or their own life is in danger. Jay shot Jackson Reagan because he was a thug who killed an off duty cop and four civilians, he was about to make it a fifth, but my brother shot him. So actually he saved people's lives that day." Addison explained.

"Your honour." Miss Gray warned.

"That's enough. Miss Halstead. Move on please Miss Gray." Judge Barnes said.

"Your Honour." Miss Gray responded and nodded respectfully before moving on. Addison glanced across at Will, Nat and the members of Intelligence who all had a look of pride on their faces from what Addison had said.

"Addison would you say when Mr Reagan first came into you and your brother's apartment he was relatively calm?" Miss Gray said.

"Well he was the one holding the gun with me at his mercy. Not the other way around." Addison answered.