Chapter Nine

We walk out onto the side walk, and start along the road.

"We're almost there." he says, and looks down at me and smiles.

By this time, we are a few blocks away from my house, and are approaching the outside of town, where some forests are.

"Are you lost?" I ask, looking around at the woods.

"Nope." he smiles again.

We finally reach the edge of the forest and he stops and looks at me.

"We're here." he says.

"Where is here?" I ask looking around, yet again, still confused.

"This way." he squeezes my hand again, and pulls me forwards into the dark woods.

We walk for a few minutes, until we reach an opening. Surrounded by tall trees, and secluded from the rest of the forest. In the center, a large red blanket is laying out.

On top of the blanket is the cliche wicker picnic basket. Sprawled out around it is two white plates and a fork for each of them.

"Come on." he says as I look around in awe.

He lets go of my hand as we approach the blanket, and I take a seat. He sits across from me, and immediately takes out his phone.

Really, on a date? Your phone? I think to myself.

He clicks around on it for a few seconds, then locks it.

"3...2...1..." he says, then points up. And in that second, pixie lights turn on all around us.

"Mikey." I whisper looking around us again.

"You like it?" He asks.

"Absolutely!" I smile.

He opens up the basket and pulls some take out Chinese.

"I didn't have time to cook and-" he says in a panic.

"No its fine, I love it." I smile, and help him take them all out.

...

After about a minutes of putting food on our plates, I realize how horrid i'm going to look eating in front of him.

Is it rude not to eat it all?

I'll look fat if I get a lot though.

I should have through this through better.

I take a little of each of the things. Promising myself to leave three pieces on my plate.

We eat and talk about nothing important really. School, work, Youtube, ourselves. The normal first date things.

"You're done?" he asked after a few minutes.

"Yeah, i'm not that hungry." I lie.

"Okay, would you be up for stopping for ice cream when we walk home?" he asks, smiling happily.

"Uh, yeah." I say against all better judgement.

We talk for a bit longer, then we pack our things back into the basket.

"You ready?" he asks as he stands up from the ground, reaching a hand out to help.

"Yeah." I respond smiling, after i've stood, he doesn't drop my hand.

"Ice cream?" he asks looking down at me, as we exit the forest. I nod in response to his question. We make our way out of the clearing, and back out to the main road.

"Whats you're favorite ice cream?" he asks after a few minutes of walking.

"Vanilla, I guess." I answer smiling.

"That's so boring, there has to be something else?"

"I guess I haven't tried many different kinds. I don't get ice cream much." I tell him, and his jaw drops dramatically. "What?" I giggle at his response.

"You don't get ice cream much?" he says pretending to be offended.

"Nope, I haven't had any in a year maybe." I estimate.

"A year?" he shouts, filling the silence around us with his echoing voice.

"Maybe a little more?" I giggle.

"That will have to be our thing then." he offers.

"What do you mean?" I ask confused at his sudden plan.

"Ice cream. Every Friday, starting tonight, you and I will go get ice cream. And you have to promise every time you get a different flavor." he explains.

"Okay. " I agree, "How many flavors are there?" I question.

"100. Exactly."

"That's two years of Ice-Cream-Fridays." I laugh.

"Perfect. That just means two years of Mikey-and-Luna-Fridays." he smiles at me.

...

We make it to a small shop on the corner of a street called 'Nickel'. The shop is painted a light blue color and the neon sign out front spells out 'Oceans'. Mikey dropped my hand, and walked a few steps in front of me and pulled the door open for me.

The inside of Oceans was just a cute as the outside. Small circle tables outlined the store, and on the far wall, was a long glass showing table with all the ice creams.

"Mikey! Hi!" the old man behind the counter smiled as he saw Mikey come into view.

"Hey Pops!" Mikey smiled back and waved his hand.

"How have you been?" Pops asked.

"Perfect." Mikey smiled, looking down at me.

"Good! Who's the young lady?" Pops asks referring to me.

"This, is Luna." Mikey said, not taking his eyes off me, making me blush.

"Nice to meet you dear, i'm Dale, but you can call me Pops." he tells me smiling and holding a hand out for me to shake.

"Pleasure to meet you." I smile shaking his hand.

"The pleasure is all mine." he says. With our hand still shaking, Pops pulls me towards him a bit, "Your'e just cute as a button." Pops whispers, and drops my hand , "Far to cute for this kid." Pops says louder, referring to Mikey, and all three of us laugh. "So what can I do for you tonight?" Pops asks smiling as Mikey, again, grabs my hand.

"We'll take two cones, each with some Sky flavor." Mikey orders.

"Coming right up." Pops says making his way to a bowl of cream, colored blue, and sprinkled with marshmallows.

After a few seconds Pops hand them over the counter to Mikey and I, and we thank him.

We make our way to the end of the counter to pay.

"Its on the house tonight." Pops tells us.

"Are you sure Pops?" Mikey asks him, and he nods.

"Anything for a first date." he says smiling.