Chapter 10

Katsuki charged through the crowd, tears burning his eyes. He wasn't patient enough to deal with traffic, so he opted to bolt out of the apartment and run the entire way to the hospital.

Luckily, he had enough sense to get the name of the hospital from Aizawa before he left.

Once the hospital came into sight, he ran faster. He bumped into people, but ignored them as they shouted at him.

He had to get to the hospital. He had to see him.

"Izuku Midoriya!" Katsuki shouted as he reached the front desk.

"Oh! Uh, room three-oh-nine!" A nurse yelped, startled into quickly typing on her computer. "Wait- sir-!" She gasped as Katsuki ran to the stairwell, not patient enough to deal with an elevator.

Three zero nine, three zero- there!

Panting heavily, he burst into the hospital room.

The other visitor looked up, causing Katsuki to tense up.

"Bakugo... Took you long enough," Shoto Todoroki muttered, face expressionless.

Katsuki gulped, fists clenching. "He's... Alive..?"

Shoto scoffed, holding one of Izuku's hands. "Yeah... No thanks to you."

That one hurt.

The blonde slowly made his way over and pulled a chair beside the bed. "I thought... I thought he died..."

"No... He was close, though... He couldn't breathe on his own because the blade pierced his lung."

Katsuki grit his teeth. "Damn it... Why... Why did they want him dead..?"

Shoto ran his thumb along Izuku's knuckles. "He's the next symbol of peace... Everyone knows that. Villains want to destroy that... Want to take away people's sense of security and safety." He murmured, eyes now on Izuku's face.

The explosive quirk user looked up to Izuku as well. "This is my fault... I never should have left him..."

The other boy only hummed in response.

"Has he... Has he woken up..?"

Shoto shook his head. "No... He hasn't."

Katsuki bit his lip. "He... He likes you, you know..."

"What..?" Shoto looked up at the blonde. "What are you talking about..?"

"I asked him... Before the attack, I asked him if there was anyone he liked... He got all red and started rambling." Katsuki wanted to reach out and take Izuku's hand. "Plus, I... I've seen the way he looks at you... And I hear how he talks about you..." Katsuki swallowed hard, carefully grabbing the still boy's hand.

Shoto leaned over and sighed. "But you like him... Don't you..?"

Katsuki didn't answer. He just stared at the hand within his grasp.

"You do... That's why you were so pissed during the fight after you asked him, then so desperate once you learned he was alone..." The duel quirk user huffed. "You're pathetic... You let your pride rule you... And that's why Midoriya could never love you."

He flinched, gripping Izuku's hand.

Shoto was right. He's too right.

Katsuki stood, letting Izuku's hand slip out of his grasp. "I know... I just... I just wanted to make sure he really... And now I know." His voice was quiet, gaze downcast. "I'll leave him alone..."

With that said, Katsuki left, hands in his pockets and head low.

Izuku could never love someone like me...

-----

525 words

>.<