Chapter 22

I paused for a moment, "actually do you know any good places to stay?" she thought for a moment and then offered, "well I need someone to watch my son if you were willing to do it then you could use the guest room and I could pay you after." I chewed my lip, "sure I'll watch him but you don't have to pay me." she smiled, "oh I insist." she wrote something down, "here's the address be there a 7:30." I nodded taking the piece of paper with the address sighing as I walked away from her. I walked over to the shop that sign said it was an antique dealer so I headed in a little bell signaled that I entered and I just browsed the shelves when I heard an accented voice ask, "do you need any help dear." I turned to see an older man I shook my, "no thank you I'm just looking around." suddenly I stopped grabbing the item I recognized as Jefferson's hat, "umm actually how much would this be?" he squinted, then his eyes widened, "are you sure you want that filthy old top hat?" I nodded and he sighed bringing it up to the register, "that'll be 27.99" I fished out my walled and gave him $30, "keep the change." I grabbed the case and practically ran to Jefferson's I knocked and after a moment Grace answered and I crouched down showing her the case, "I found this, do you think that could help him remember?" I tried not to get too hopeful in case that it didn't work she tilted her head, "what is it?" I forgot that she was too young to remember him as a portal jumper, "it's his hat he used before you were born." she nodded motioning for me to come in so I stood up straight and walked in making sure to close the door behind me I heard Jefferson's voice come from a distance, "Grace who was at the door?" soon he came to the doorway when she didn't answer right away and I stepped forward offering him the case, "I thought that maybe it would help you remember your true self." his eyebrows wrinkled in confusion, "what is it?" he opened the case and saw the hat carefully he grabbed it pulling it out he ran his hands over the brim of the hat, "where did you get this?" tears were in his eyes I cleared my throat, "it was at Mr.Gold's shop." after I finished my sentence I heard a knock at the door and Grace ran to go and answer it and when she did I saw Regina I raised my eyebrows in surprise and Jefferson's did as well, "Mayor Mills what can I help you with this fine evening?" her eyes scanned over me and I got the hint I headed out of the room but stayed close enough in proximity that I could hear the conversation, "Jefferson you need to stay away from here she's a troubled person." my eyes widened at her words she seemed so sweet when she offered me the guest room soon I stepped bay into the foyer, "sorry Jefferson to rush off so quickly but I have to go and pick some items up before I headed to watch Regina's kid." I smiled showing myself out I laid my head against the door taking a deep breath for a moment to calm myself and continued my walk to town.