Chapter 22: Date 1.💜Tokoyami💜

(Y/n) bounced on the balls of her feet as she waited outside the front door of Tokoyami's house. Since he was one of the Halloween winners, he had invited (Y/n) over to watch a scary movie and she finally could say yes.

Even if Halloween was over, she still loved a good horror movie!

She knocked again, shifting the bag of popcorn in her arms. Tokoyami told her she didn't need to bring anything, but she brought some food, not wanting to be responsible for eating all the snacks in his house.

The door was opened by Dark Shadow, who greeted her with a trill of excitement.

"(Y/n)!"

"Hey Dark Shadow! It's good to see you!" she grinned. "Here, I brought you an apple."

The creature took it from her hands and motioned her inside. She respectfully took off her shoes and followed Dark Shadow into the kitchen.

"Hello (Y/n). I wasn't sure what kind of candy to get you, so I bought some American ones because I thought it would remind you of home." Tokoyami said, gesturing to the array of sweets. He wore black jeans and a familiar emo band tee shirt.

"I couldn't find much, sorry about that."

(Y/n) grinned from ear to ear as she glanced over the treats.

"This is so nice!" she exclaimed. "Thank you!"

Tokoyami smiled.

"So this is your house, huh?" she said, glancing around. It was more normal than she expected of the feathered boy. He sighed.

"This is how my parents decorated it. I have a... different sense of style."

"Oh? And how does that look?"

He shifted uncomfortably and sighed again.

"Follow me."

She walked closely behind him as he led her to his room.

"Where are your parents anyways?" (Y/n) asked, looking around. "You didn't sacrifice them, did you?"

"Very funny (Y/n)." he said with a smile. "No, they're out working late."

He stopped at a door.

"Here it is."

He swung the door open and (Y/n) stepped inside.

"Wow..."

Tokoyami studied her face, unsure if that was a good thing or not.

"This is so cool Tokoyami! Is that a sword?"

(Y/n) knelt down to inspect the blade. She squinted to see it, as the room was dimly lit by fake purple candles.

"I would have real candles, but my parents say it's a fire hazard." he explained.

"I like them." (Y/n) smiled at a purple candelabra on his shelf. As her eyes adjusted to the light, she spotted something else.

"Is that nail polish?"

"N-no!" Tokoyami sputtered. (Y/n) got up and grabbed the bottle off the desk.

"Okay, well, yes. I paint my nails black." he admitted. (Y/n) took his hand and studied the well manicured nails.

"You did this yourself Tokoyami?" (Y/n) asked. "They're so expertly done!"

Her eyes glittered as she looked up at him gleefully.

"Can you do mine?"

"You want me to?"

"Yeah! We can match!" (Y/n) grinned. They both sat on the floor of his bedroom and (Y/n) watched his steady hand paint her nails in the inky polish.

"Don't use your hands too much, the paint will smudge and mess up." Tokoyami advised. "And even if you think they're done drying, they're not."

He watched (Y/n) immediately pick up her phone to take a picture of her nails.

"What did I just say? Be patient."

"Take the picture for me then." (Y/n) held out her phone with her thumb and forefinger.

"I'm not done." he said. "I have some white here, do you want stars and a moon on a few of them?"

"Ooh, yes please!'

When he was done, he coated it in a clear varnish to make them last longer. (Y/n)'s nose crinkled at the strong smell.

"It doesn't bother you?"

"What?"

"The smell."

"I've gotten used to it." he cawed. "It takes a while though."

He aimed the phone and snapped a few pictures. He frowned as he scrolled through the nail photos.

"The lighting in here isn't good. Let's go back to the kitchen."

(Y/n) happily skipped after him back to the kitchen, keeping in mind not to brush her hands against anything.

He flicked the lights on in the kitchen and the room was flooded with light. He snapped a couple of photos and smiled in satisfaction.

"Here."

"Thanks Toko!" (Y/n) exclaimed. "I'm gonna send it to the girl groupchat."

"What? No!" he cried.

"Please! Your work is amazing! Please can I show them? Please?"

He paused as she gave him her best puppy-dog eyes.

Dammit...

"Fine." he sighed defeatedly.

"Yes!"

(Y/n)'s fingers flew over the keyboard, sending Tokoyami's anxiety through the roof.

"Hey, be careful!"

"It's fine. Oh, they texted back!"

As she read over the texts, her smile widened.

"They think it's awesome! They all want you to do their nails too!"

"W-what?" Tokoyami blinked in surprise.

"They want you to do their nails." (Y/n) bumped his arm lightly. "You're pretty popular with the girls now!"

He smiled and Dark Shadow crowed excitedly.

"Now let's start this movie!" (Y/n) exclaimed, popping a candy into her mouth. They settled on the couch and Tokoyami pressed play. It was a horror movie that had come out a few years ago, but it was one of (Y/n)'s favorites.

"No, no, no, you dumbass!" (Y/n) exclaimed, jostling the popcorn bowl. The killer easily caught up to the victim and killed them with one swift blow.

"The way you ran, you deserved it." (Y/n) said sourly. Tokoyami watched the nurse with amusement as she criticized the characters onscreen. Dark Shadow had taken up to snoozing on (Y/n)'s lap and occasionally opened an eye to keep up with the events in the movie. The two teens were buried under a thick comforter and nestled the snacks between them.

When the movie was over, (Y/n) got up and stretched.

"That was awesome! Still my favorite horror film!" she yawned.

"I enjoyed that too." Tokoyami smiled. It was true that he liked the movie, but his attention was mostly fixed on (Y/n) for the duration of the film.

Tokoyami walked her to the door and she grabbed her things.

"Thanks for having me over. Tonight was fun!" (Y/n) grinned. "I'll see you at school tomorrow!"

"Good night (Y/n)."

"Night Toko, goodnight Dark Shadow!"

She waved at the two as she walked down the street.