Chapter 4

~ Prince

I watched her sit and talked with Stacey and Joy, both Betas' daughters of their pack. So far I can tell those two are generally sweet. I'm hoping I'll get a chance to get to know them better in the next round. Violet seems open to meeting new people I observe from her friendly body language. Her smile is warm and her face is expressive.

Her demeanor is confident and intentional. The sight makes me feel strange, there's definitely an attraction. I haven't even talked with her yet, there's something about her but I can't put my finger on it.

The announcement sounds over the intercom. The girls stand and walk toward the park where the stage is. I follow.

As I'm walking down the street, Dominic Kieth's son, comes up behind me and slaps me on the back. We head to a tree to the right of the row of chairs in front of the stage. I lean against the tree, Dominic squats next to me.

Dominic is short stocky, built like a brick shithouse. His thick mahogany brown hair is wavy and messy. His dark tint sunglasses cover hazelnut eyes. Under his long pointed nose is a short mustache over thin lips. Tattoos of skulls and flames climb his forearms to his shoulders. He generally wears blue jeans, and light colored sleeveless shirts. A gold chain hangs from his neck and a sports watch on his left wrist.

"How are you doing, Saba?" He asks in russian. 

"Fine, just a little tense. Where have you been, man? I've already walked around and met most of the girls."

"Ah, sorry. I was with that girl we met at the pub last night. That girl gives good head. I got in a quickie before I came here." He said.

"Your "quickies" are never quick. Anyway, I'm glad you finally made it. I really hate that my father made death part of the contest. I don't want any one of them to die. Especially to be my mate." I reply in russian.

I'm watching the girls file in and sit in their chairs. The seats behind them are filling fast.

"What's wrong with you? Are you saying your not worth it, you're a friggin prince." He hisses glaring up at me.

"I know that. But we've talked about this before. I want my true mate. Anything less is just a position filler to please my father." I wave in the direction of the front row.

Bata Keith begins his introduction speech.

Dominic stands and puts his hands in to his pockets. "Well you should at least try. If you get down to the last one with all your matebond tests and feel nothing, reject her too."

"Are you suggesting to have these girls die for nothing? I have to pick one. It wouldn't be right." I swallow the lump that develops in my throat.

"Well you have a good bunch to choose from. Especially that one from the Ural mountains, those eyes. Damn. Some of those alpha chicks look pretty intense. I thought you weren't into chicks like that." Raising an eyebrow.

Keith starts calling the girls up. Kathleen Flint, an alpha's daughter from a pack close to Italy. Dominance rolls off her like mist after a rain storm. I hear her uncle is part of a mafia outfit in the US Territory in New York City. Alphas...

"I'm not. I already plan on putting a stop to the fight on the final battle so there will be closer to ten going on to the next round. I met most of the alpha chicks. Their vain personalities turn me off. And they treat my pack members like their personal servants." I scowl with disgust as I speak.

Two more girls have gone up. I already know about the background on most of the girls. I'm interested to see what Violet has to say. Her application was a last minute acceptance with no information about her pack or background. 

Finally her name is called. She stands and walks past all the girls to get to the stairs to the stage. She winks at Joy and Stacey as she passes them. It causes me to smile. She's playful, it intrigues me.

Standing next to the table, she has her back to me. Keith grabs the black bag and holds it up. Violet reaches into the bag and pulls out a number then hands it to Keith. He walks over to the board to write her name down. She got the fifth day second fight.

Three alpha chicks are already drawn for that day. I hope she will make it to the next round.

He directs her to the other side of the table to speak at the pulpit. I can now see her face. She stands perfectly straight, shoulders back and chin up. That beautiful smile painted on her face. I swear I can see mischief twinkle in her lavender eyes.

Beta Keith is mesmerized, he's speechless for a moment then comes to, she raises an eyebrow and bits her bottom lip.

Clearing his throat Keith begins,"Miss Valentine. You're eyes are breath taking...does every one in your pack have such alluring purple eyes?" He's voice smooth and suave.

I haven't heard her voice yet. I stain my ears to take it in. "No, they are as unique as I am." Her foriegn accent was one I have never heard. It makes me curious to what her native tongue is. The Ural mountains are not far from here but they're cut off and hard to get to.

"What title does your parents have?" Keith smiles. That is a burning question.

She smerks, putting her hand to chin gently rubbing her index finger across her bottom lip. Her eyes shining playfully. I expect she is contemplating how to answer, not giving to much away.

"Guess" she says coyly.

Keith is disarmed. His face has shifted from suave to a babbling idiot. After collecting his wits, he rubs the back of his neck.

What gets me the most is he's played right in to her hands. Keith has a mate and has never been persuaded to look at another female. Yet with a word and a smile his eyes have been all over her. That fact he's starting to sweat is giving him away.

"I'd say...alpha?" Keith says scratching his head. The anticipation is killing me, and I see some of the other girls on the edge of their seats.