Chapter 46

~ Prince

I refuse to leave her side the next few days. Leo has been interrogating Dominic. So far he hasn't talked. We did have Joy and Stacey pulled in for questioning. We found nothing on Stacy, but Joy on the other hand sang like a canary when we offered her a plea bargain.

She admitted to telling Dominic when Violet was cooking and to placing the tainted silverware. She let Dominic into the kitchen but claims she didn't know that he made the gas leak. She became histarical and cried saying, " I never wanted her to die, just get sick or drop out!"

She admitted she knew about the drugs put in her drink, but Dominic was just taking her home.

We decide to leave for Violet's pack before anyone can interrupt us anymore. I help her pack up, then pack what I have down the hall. I have some things in my private quarters in the palace. Leo is down stairs loading luggage. Violet wants to take a shower before we go.

I'm going to go to the palace while she's doing that.

**********

I open my door to my quarters. It's only 3 in the afternoon but it's pitch black in here. I flip on the light on my desk. There were papers so I look through them. My door closed by itself, I turn to look and see Dominic's face and everything goes black.

I open my eyes and find I'm still in my room. I'm tied up around my wrists behind my back and my ankles. I'm lying on my bed. My forehead is leaking and throbbing. Dominic is standing next to the bed with a knife. He has no shirt or shoes. His pants tore up.

His icy glare sends chills down my back. "What the hell is wrong with you!" I yell.

"What's wrong with me? I'm trying to save your life, and this is the thanks I get!" He says low, his voice dry.

"What the hell are you talking about man!? You tried to kill my mate! Save me from who?" I'm aggravated. I struggle against my bindings.

"You can struggle all you want, your wolf can't help you. The rope is a 20 gauge silver plated high tensile wire.

Anyway, I was given a chance to stop the assassination attempts. If I could keep you two apart, exchange her for you, they'd leave you alone. Having my wolf was not worth losing you." He says as he sits on the edge of the bed.

At this point I remember the pocket knife Violet gave me. I can feel it in my pocket, the fool never checked my pockets after tying me up. I got to keep him talking, although quite frankly I don't give a damn what his motives are, I'm too pissed off. I open the knife and start cutting the rope.

"Waking the wolves for my people is worth it to me! I would gladly pay any price to at least try, put in the effort. And you did lose me, our friendship is over now. I can't trust you now. " I say with a growl. My wolf is pushing to get out. If he does I can't control him.

"Well that doesn't matter anymore. I failed to prevent your wolf from waking so now I have to go to plan B." He rises and paces the floor.

"I have a few places I can hide you. It's the only thing left. Once your hidden the enemy can't get to you. Everyone will blame Violet and they'll get rid of her. When she's gone you can come back and take your throne."

He look like a few screws are loose. I think I lost my friend the day he accepted the enemy's offer. The rope cut like a hot knife through butter. Damn that knife is sharp, I'm free.

He goes to grab my arms, but I roll away from him on to the floor. I quickly cut the rope off my ankles. I jump to my feet and turn to find Dominic racing across the bed, his knife in his right hand.

I spin kick the knife out of his hand. He had so much momentum as he came at me, his foot got tangled in my blankets. I tried to catch him, but we fell back on the floor, him on top of me.

He let out a blood curdling scream. I caught him all right, with Violet's butterfly knife into his ribs. I didn't want to kill him, he was like a brother to me. He needed help, which I planned on giving him after everything calmed down.

I roll him on to his back. He's coughing up blood. I missed his heart but got the lung. My heart was breaking and tears filled my eyes.

I kneel down and cradle his head. He's drowning in his own blood. "Why? Why couldn't you trust our Goddess had this under control? Why take things into your own hands?!" I whisper as I sniff.

"I...love you...brother..." Dominic choked out. Then died.

I wept for my friend, my brother. If he wasn't so blinded by his fear and had faith none of this would have happened. Leo and Violet came in. I only knew because of her smell and she screamed. Leo coddle her.

I stood up slowly and went into the bathroom to wash up. When I came out, the body is gone, Violet's on the balcony just gazing at the city below. She looks like I do when I'm deep in thought. I join her. I wrap my arms around her hips. I bury my nose in to her neck and just take in her scent.

"I'm sorry-" she starts to say but I cut her off.

"For what, you didn't make him choose the choices he made. He was scared and thought he could fix it. I understand and don't hate him. I blame the enemy for putting him in that position. Are you ready to go?" I say even though my throat felt tight.

"Yes. Did you talk to your parents, let them know what we're doing?" She asks as she turns and puts her fingers through my hair. It gives me chills, it usually turns me on but not now.

"Yes. Everything is in order, all we have to do is leave." I reply. She nods and we head down to the SUV.

Leo in the driver seat, Violet and I are in the back. We leave my world and soon I'll be in hers. Despite what happened, I'm the luckiest man in the world.