Chapter 35

~ Prince

I'm sitting at my desk in the study of my guesthouse absentmindedly playing with the pocket knife Violet gave me. Two attempts on Violet's life in one day. I still have Dominic being followed. Leo's men lost him around breakfast and later that day. But they did see him leave his parents house. No one but servants were in the kitchen.

It's so frustrating, a assassin among us and I can't find him. Even Leo's men are struggling to scratch up any clues. Maybe I'm wrong about Dominic. But it makes me wonder, who is it slipping in and out without a trace.

Leo walks in and sits in the chair across from me. He eyes the knife in my hand and frowns.

"How did you get Violet's pocket knife?"

"She gave it to me, says I need to be able to defend myself if I'm ever attacked. I tried to refuse but she insisted." I explain.

Leo raises his eyebrows. "I'm glad you did accept it. If she offered that knife to you and you rejected it, she would have thought you are rejecting her too. That knife is very special to her." He says steepling his fingers in front of him.

"Why is it special?" My curiosity intrigued.

"That knife was an award for achievement in her training. She worked really hard to earn it, being the youngest ever to win it. She puts her whole self in a task. If she fails, it's not because lack of effort.

That knife is a symbol of her strength, courage, and skill. The fact she gave it to you should give you an idea how important you are to her. She's no romantic, Sabastian, but she can be soft, and gentle. It's in there somewhere. You just got to find it.

You have to remember, most of her life has been training to be the best. She lost sight of having a mate, and now that it's her mission, she's having trouble blending the two.

But I see that you're finding her under that thick shell. Especially after she played that song for you. I'm impressed." He smiles and crosses his arms.

"Yeah, that song was beautiful. It's like it went straight into my soul. You say that song, what's the deal?" I say leaning closer, a smile on my face.

"As you may have guess, her wolf is awake, just like all of ours in our pack." My eye grow big as he continues. "The song that was played was not played by Violet, but by her wolf, Calypso to her mate. She played the same song at Violet's 16th birthday ceremony, which is when the first shift occurs."

"She's had her wolf since she was 16? Who woke her wolf?" I don't know why but a became tense.

"Our wolves born in that pack are not put to sleep. They have been alert since the human vessel was born. When they're ready to allow the human to change into their form, which is usually around the age of 16, they enact the first shift. However it's very painful.

It's the way it was done before our Goddess put everyone wolves to sleep. When your wolf is fully awake, you must come to our pack to train him. You'll be around others whose wolves are awake and we can help you better there with no disturbance. You understand?"

I nod. He smiles and stands to leave.

"Is it worth it, Leo?" He knits his brows in confusion. "All this trouble for our wolves I mean."

He walk around the desk and puts a large hand on my shoulder. He looks in my eyes, I look back and see scars on him cheek, forehead and one across his right eye. It looks like he has sacrificed more for this cause than I.

"I would only be a shell of a man if I not had my wolf. But I've had mine for over fifty years. It's worth it though, if you want it bad enough." He pats my shoulder and leaves.

I look back at the knife. Now I know what this means. This represents the side of Violet I have great distain for. I should provide the things this knife represents. Maybe that's why she really gave it to me. Passing the torch.

I've also seen glimpses into her soft side. Mainly when we're intimate, which doesn't seem to be her strong point. All that confidence melts away at my touch. I smile at the thought.

And at the river, I beat her at her own game. She submitted to me, I am stronger than her. She and her wolf recognizes me as the dominant one here. I'm sure I won't have any more problems with her attitude. She will show her sweet, meek, quiet girl, eventually.

But how do I draw it out?