Chapter 9

Melanie

It had been weeks since my attempted suicide and although I still missed my brother, I knew I had to keep living for him.

I was currently getting ready for work, I had started working at Ghost aunt's beauty/hair salon. It kept me busy and helped keep my mind off of what was currently going on in my life.

I put the finishing touches of my make up on and double checked to make sure my burgundy wig was secured. I ran a brush through the loose waves and applied moose to get rid of the fly aways.

I fixed my black work shirt and straightened out my ripped black jeans before grabbing my wallet and phone.

"Good morning guys," I said to Redd and Ghost.

"Sup ma you ready," said Redd. I nodded as I looked over at Ghost. He smirked at me as he continued eating his food. He claimed he had errands to run so I was stuck with Redd taking me to work.

Things were still awkward with us ever since I got back from the hospital. He never came to visit me nor did he call afterwards to see if I was okay. He had been acting funny since we kissed but now he was trying to get in my good graces. I was just happy I didn't sleep with him.

I waved at Ghost as we made our way to the car. We drove in silence with only the music playing in the background.

"Look I know you're still upset about me not showing up to the hospital but I had a lot going on. I'm sorry about that but I'm feeling you and I still want to explore us," said Redd.

I looked over at him, "You don't owe me anything, we aren't even talking exclusively. But I do appreciate your apology," I responded back.

"Well I want to start talking exclusively if you want too," he said.

"I'll think about it," I said as we pulled into the beauty shop.

I waved at him as I walked into the shop.

"Good Morning Ms. Lynette," I said as I walked to my station.

"Hey Summer,  can you work the front for me until Halle comes in," she responded back.

"Sure," I said as I sat in the chair and clocked in. I was scrolling through the internet when Risse walked in. We had gotten closer since my incident and she had proven she was someone I could trust.

"Hey girl you're late," I said jokingly as she clocked in on the iPad.

"Jerry held me up this morning, and then I had to drop off Marlee at daycare," she said. I smirked at her "well at least your getting some, I haven't had none in 3 months."

She looked at me sideways before laughing "so you and Redd never hooked up?"she asked.

"Nope and I don't plan on it. He is inconsistent and wishy washy, plus he didn't even come see me in the hospital," I responded back.

"Well I get that but are you still coming to my birthday party at the club next week?" she asked.

A wave of fear took over my body as I thought about the club and my brother. "I'll be there, you already know," I said ignoring the weird feeling I felt inside.

"Y'all know we don't get paid to talk. Risse you have two hair appointments and three nails," said Moni one of the stylist at the shop.

She was a bitch and ever since I started working at shop she had been rude and nasty towards me. Her and her dumb ass side kick Desiree, but I promised Risse I wouldn't beat her ass so I chose to ignore her.

"Don't forget its my momma that owns this shop not the other way around," she said as she walked by her.

I snickered as I went back to organizing the appointments for the day.