Chapter 12

Melanie

It had been a week since I had that conversation with Ghost and I would be lying if I said I wasn't bothered. He had been avoiding me since then and every time we did see each other is was weird.

We had finally gotten to a place where we were getting along, and I was honest with my feelings only to be friend zoned. It's whatever though I didn't have time for boys and I had other things to worry about. For example, finding the people who killed my brother.

I added the finishing touches to my make up and smoothed down my work shirt. Lynette decided to let me keep my job after I had the fight with Moni, which I was grateful for. I tied my knotless braids into a half up half down style and grabbed my wallet.

Like I expected the house was empty since Ghost claimed he had errands to run. Luckily Risse offered to give me a ride since Ghost was being distant.

We pulled up to the salon and after clocking in we went to our station. "Oh girl those braids still look fresh," said Quay as I stood next to her.

"Thanks love , Rolesia did her thing," I said. Rolesia smiled at me as she continued her clients hair. I was developing friendships in the salon and they had slowly become almost like family to me. Well maybe with the exception of Moni and Desiree, but I didn't care. She had tried messing with my money by purposely scheduling appointments when I had my days off but Lynette straightened her out. If she kept messing with me she would lose her job, so as of now I didn't have any issues with her.

"I have a question for you ladies. How do you know if your really feeling a guy?" asked Cindy another one of the stylist.

I kept quiet cause I was already going through my own drama but I wasn't surprised when Moni decided to speak up.

"Well my baby Roderick and I have been together for three years and I remember when he first asked me out. I had started working in the salon and he would come in to drop stuff off for Ms. Lynette and after a while we just got acquainted and one thing led to another, but that's my baby for sure," she said.

Risse looked at me and I rolled my eyes.

"And nobody can break y'all up either girl. Y'all are the cutest couple," said Desiree.

She smiled at her while looking at me. I snickered because I really didn't care about her or Redd, and besides he wanted me more than I even wanted him.

"Well that's not what I heard," said Quay. I held back my laugh cause I knew she was being messy.

"Well whatever else you heard was wrong. That's my man and he will always be my man," she said.

"How about you Summer, have you ever been in love or is there a guy you're interested in now?" asked Cindy.

I looked around as the other girls waited for me to answer.

"I mean when I was in high school I dated this guy and he was my everything at the time. I did everything for him and he was going to make it big. We had been dating for two years when he cheated on me with this girl on the dance team. He ended up dating her afterwards and since then it's been fuck these niggas. They are only good for dick and money and that's all," I said.

"Ain't that right," said Rolesia

"What about that tall dark skin guy with the beard and dreads that be dropping you off sometimes? Cause baby he is fine as hell and if I were you I would of been got with him," said Quay.

"I mean we're cool but there is nothing going on between us," I said.

"Just cool? Girl I feel like you're holding back from us," said Quay.