Chapter 27

Ghost

It had been a couple of days since the whole fight and Melanie still wasn't talking to me. She hadn't been to work since Lynette had decided to give her a couple of days off at her request. I wasn't used to her ignoring me and I missed my baby.

The strange phone calls hadn't stopped coming to her phone and when I tried to track the number nothing came up. I didn't have a good feeling about any of it and something told me that we would have to take action soon.

I finished my morning hygiene and tied my locs into a top bun. I was going to the barber to get them retwisted and a haircut. Afterwards I was going to stop by the grocery store to get us some groceries. After getting ready I made my way to Dutchess's room to let her know I was about to head out.

I lightly knocked on her door and waited for her to open the door. She opened it and I looked her over as she wore one of my shirts and spandex shorts.

"Yes" she said with an attitude.

"I'm about to head out lock the door,"

"Okay," she said before walking out to lock the door.

I got in my car and made my way towards the barber shop. It wasn't too crowded which I was happy about. I sat in the back and waited for my boy Skip to twist and cut my hair.

"Wassup nigga long time no see," he said as he placed the cape around me and took my locs out the ponytail.

"I've been busy," I said as he began to work on my hair. He washed it, retwisted it, and gave me a line up. We talked about sports and life and before I knew it he was finished.

"Thanks man," I said as I paid him and dapped him up.

"For sure man," he said.

I walked out and made my way to Walmart to pick up some groceries for the house. I was pushing my cart and not paying attention before I knocked into this girl. She dropped some of her stuff that she was carrying and I knelt down to help her pick it up.

"My bad I wasn't paying attention," I said as I helped her pick her stuff.

"It's okay," she said as she stood up as I handed her stuff back.

She was a pretty girl, short and thick with caramel brown skin.

"Thanks again for helping me.. you have a nice day," she said as she scurried away.

"No problem," I said.

She walked away and I looked down and noticed she left a phone behind. I picked it up and noticed it was a burner phone... I walked around to see if I could find her but she was gone.

I placed the phone in my pocket but I double checked and made sure there wasn't a tracker on it. I finished my shopping and decided to grab two snickers bar and a strawberry Fanta since it was Melanie's favorite.

After paying for my groceries I made my way to my car and quickly hopped in. I pulled out and started driving down the main road towards my house, when I looked in the rear view window, and noticed a white car that was two cars behind me. I didn't pay it any attention til I noticed that it turned when I turned.

I took my gun out and placed it in my lap as I manuevered down the road. Every turn I made the car made and if I switched lanes it made sure to switch lanes with me. I knew something was up once Mel started getting those phonecalls, but how the hell did they find me.

I quickly dialed LB's number and waited for him to answer.

"Yo"

"Aye man is the other safe house still open? The one off of Princeton Avenue?"