44

Kate woke about three hours later- meanwhile, David, Irina and I had sat discussing what had happened, relishing in the fact that it was all over.

"So, how did you get your powers back?" Irina asked.

I thought back to the dream I'd had with my Nan. "This is gonna sound crazy." I began.

David scoffed. "I think we're past crazy, Millie."

I laughed. "I suppose. But, you know when I was unconscious after the doctor took my powers?"

David and Irina nodded.

"Well, I had a dream." I continued. "Actually, I think it was more of a vision. My Nan, who died over ten years ago, was there, and she told me that what I was seeking never truly left. I completely forgot about it until that very moment, right before the doctor's elemental bomb hit me. It was like a sudden realisation, and I felt them all come at me all at once."

"Just in time." David said. "I don't think I've ever been that close to dying."

"Me neither." Irina said. "We owe you."

I frowned. "You don't owe me anything." I said, then paused. "On second thoughts, a cup of tea would be nice."

Irina laughed, and David just rolled his eyes, getting up to make a cup for everyone.

Kate groaned, and I shot up and went over to her, sitting on the floor in front of her. She still looked healthy, which was a bonus.

"Hey, Kate." I said. "How you feeling?"

Kate started to sit up, and rubbed her eyes. "Tired." She said.

"But other than that?" I asked.

She smiled. "Other than that, I feel fine." She then frowned. "How is it that I'm fine? Did I miss something?"

"I replaced your earth element with mine." I said.

Kate's eyebrows went up. "Seriously?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Shit." She muttered, and then rubbed her eyes and yawned. "Thanks, Millie. I think I'd be dead if you didn't do that."

I chuckled, although I knew it was true. "Well, I'm glad you're not."

David came over then, with a cup of tea for everyone. "Welcome back, Kate." He said.

"Thanks." She smiled, taking the mug of tea. I took mine as well.

"I like the hair." Kate said after a moment of silence.

I took another look at my hair, still not used to it. I hadn't even seen it in full- only the ends. "I mean, it's certainly different."

"It suits you." She said, and then there was more silence. We were all relaxing at the fact that there was nothing to do at the moment. "So what happened to the doctor?" Kate asked. "Is he dead?"

I shook my head. "Ronan thought that would be too kind." I said. "So he just made him forget about everything sciency. He won't be able to do anything like this again, and if Ronan catches him, he will probably punish him. Ronan is just destroying everything as we speak."

"Oh." Kate said. "I take it he doesn't have powers anymore?"

"Nope." I said. "I handled that."

Kate chuckled. "I can't believe all this Argent stuff was happening right under my nose, and I didn't even realise."

I felt a bit bad then, remembering how our argument had started in the first place. Because I didn't tell her about me. Kate must have seen the look on my face.

"I don't mean that in a bad way." Kate said. "Not anymore. I now see why you didn't tell me. It's just mad that you have powers." She then looked at David and Irina. "And that you have powers, too."

"And now you." Irina said. "You still have the earth in you."

Kate looked at her hands, as if expecting to see it there. "Oh, yeah, I suppose I do." She said. "But it's not quite like you guys. I can only heal."

"Still a power." David pointed out.

Kate shrugged. "I guess."

I felt my eye sting then, and so rubbed it, thinking I had something in it. It was my blue eye.

"You okay?" Kate asked.

"I think there's something in my eye." I said, but then the stinging intensified. I rubbed it more, and stood up, unable to open it. I could feel my eyes watering underneath my hand.

"Fuck." I muttered.

Irina had come over. "What's wrong?" She asked.

"My eye." I said. "It really hurts."

She took hold of my wrist and pulled my hand away so she could have a look, but I couldn't even open it.

"Can you open it?" She asked.

I shook my head. "No."

"Wash it out." David said, pointing to the sink in his office. I went over to it, and splashed cold water onto it. It helped a little, although it still hurt like hell.

But I'd felt this before. When my other eye had first turned silver, it had hurt just like this. But why would my other eye be hurting?

"Can you see anything?" I asked Irina, prying my eye open. "It might just be an eyelash or something."

She gasped.

"What?" I asked.

She laughed. "It's not an eyelash, Millie." She said.

"Then what is it?" I turned back to the sink and washed it out again- it helped even more this time, and I blinked a few times. It still stung, but it was bearable.

"Take a look." Kate said, handing me a little compact mirror. Of course she would carry around a mirror in her pocket, despite everything. Still, I didn't question it, and took the mirror.

I wasn't really sure what to say when I saw two silver eyes looking back at me, both of them glowing.

"Why has this happened?" I asked.

Ronan appeared in the room then, obviously having finished his handiwork at the lab, and then came over to see what all the fuss was about.

"What's going on?" He asked, before I looked up at him. "Oh." He said, and then laughed. "Well, I've never seen that happen before."

"So you have no idea why it's happened?" I asked.

He shrugged. "Nope."

Well. Silver eyes and silver hair. I guess that wasn't too drastic a change. I could explain the hair easily- I dyed it. The eyes? I wondered if people would notice like they usually would. Maybe they'd still see the blue eyes. But maybe they wouldn't. I'd have to hope that they would.

"Cool." I said, and then handed the mirror back to Kate.

"It looks fucking sick." Kate said.

I just laughed. Everyone in the room laughed.

It was over.

Finally, it was over.

__________