goodbye for now

„Archie, what?", I muttered sleepy when I felt that his grip around me loosened during the night.

„Jug and Gladys are talking about me", he looked back at me with a concerned look, „Sleep, I'll be back."

„No, I'll listen to them, too. She must have interesting news if she wakes Jug up."

We heard Gladys talk from the other room, „You and Liz have to separate yourselves from Archie."

„We won't let him alone."

„Your mom is right, Jug", Archie stepped out to the two of them so I followed him, „You two have really helped me, more than anyone else. And it's been good to see that the three musketeers are still steady but you need to go home, please."

„No, Archie, you can't move on on your own", I whisper-yelled at him worriedly.

„Guys, Hiram would have almost caught us on that farm, Penny found us here. Gladys and JellyBean are in danger because of me. We have to change that. Wherever I go, I'll go alone."

„Archie-"

„Jug", Archie started again but hugged us instead.

„Good, we got it. You'll get a ride to the border, there's someone who can help you. Jug, Liz, you can stay for as long as you want to", Gladys offered us with the hope of seeing her son for a longer time.

„No, I think I'll be going home", he sighed, „We've got to stop Hiram Lodge and that's only possible when we're in the middle of the happenings."

„Well, I've packed some lunch for you", Gladys told us in the morning when we were ready to leave, „Jug, can you open the door? It must be Archie's driver."

„Dad", Archie let out a relieved sigh when Fred walked in with a worried look on his face, „I've missed you so much, dad."

„I missed you too, boy."

I decided to give the two of them a moment for themselves and walked out to FP and my dad along with Gladys and JellyBean.

„So you finally made it? Jughead's coming out soon, he's still got to pack."

„Elizabeth", my dad spoke seriously but he looked relieved to see me when he pulled me into his arms, „You've got your mother worried sick."

„I'm sorry, dad. I didn't want to scare any of you."

„Hey JellyBean, she got so mature", FP didn't seem less emotional than my dad, „Do I get a hug?"

„Do I get a dad?"

„Hey, JB", Gladys warned her.

„I deserve this, I guess", FP sighed disappointed.

„She misses you a lot but she's never going to admit that."

„Yeah, like mother like daughter."

„Well, I can't disagree", my dad's chest vibrated from his laugh meaning Gladys and JB but also my mom and I.

„Dad.. I see, mom has called you", Jug joined us.

„I thought you might miss this", FP smiled with our Serpent jackets in his hand, „I've heard that Penny has been here and made you trouble?"

„Did she hurt or threaten you?", my dad added with a concerned look.

„That was no problem. I think we don't have to think about Penny any more", Gladys said mysteriously so Jug and I weren't sure what she had done to her, „Come here, my boy. I'm going to miss you two. And Elizabeth, keep an eye on him."

„There's no need to worry about that", I smiled sharing a hug with her.

„And Harvey, you keep an eye on my boys, too", she warned jokingly before the three of us, Jug, my dad and I left FP and Gladys alone to talk.

„I assumed you wouldn't want to say goodbye to Archie that quick so Jug can drive my motorbike and we are driving with Fred and Archie", my dad offered me which surprised me.

„Wouldn't you want to lock me in my room out of fear since we basically ran away? For a good reason I might add."

„Your mom advised me to do so but we can do that as soon as we get home. It doesn't make a big difference if we take a few hours more."

„Thank you, dad. It's just.. I'm really worried about Archie. He's going to be completely alone and I want to help him as much as I can. And if that means that I can help him dye his hair, I'll do that. Jug?"

„Don't worry, I'll keep my mouth shut."

So Fred drove to the last stop before we would cross the border and Archie and I went in to change his bright red hair color to a dark grayish brown.

„I already miss your bright red hair, that was perfect on you", I sighed when I looked through his hair if every single one has changed to a darker color, „I'm going to miss you, Arch."

„I'm going to miss you, too, Els", he forced himself to form a smile for me, „I hate the fact that it has to end like this. I enjoyed the fact that the three of us were back and especially you and I even just for a moment."

„Me too", I lost myself looking into his eyes, „Me too. Please, be careful. I swear if get yourself hurt, I'm going to be the one who kills you."

„You wouldn't do that, you love me too much", he chuckled still happily.

I had to enjoy the fact that we could still laugh together because as soon as we would step out that door, we couldn't do that any more. Archie would leave.

„I can't thank you enough for everything that you've done for me", he repeated and softly connected our lips one last time, „I'm going to miss this, too."

„Come, we'll leave the two of them alone for a moment", I looked up to my dad who again, had a concerned look on his face.

„They don't deserve this."

„I know, dad."

„All because of Hiram. He's going to pay for this", my dad hissed into the dark.

„We're going to make him pay for it."