naive

So we let our thoughts drop and followed Archie to that farm naively.

„That's called trespassing", we heard the voice of a girl and a gun being moved, „So and now turn around. But slowly."

We let our bags drop to the bottom and did what she said.

„Great, we arrived in Middle America in the 1950's", I sarcastically sighed feeling as if I was a migrant in a state like Texas.

„Not the right time for jokes", Archie whispered back to me but Jug's mouth formed to a grin.

„Who are you two?", the other girl asked.

Two? We were three. Since I didn't have anything to lose, I was the one to speak up.

„Well, those are Kal and Biff and I'm-"

She replied annoyed, „I don't like liars. Shoot them, Gracie."

„Wait, wait", Archie stepped in, „We were robbed in the train. They stole our money. We've been walking for days. We just want to eat and drink and then we're away."

„Take the gun down."

„I don't trust them."

Man, who raised that little girl like that?

„Do what I say."

„I'm Lori Lake and that's Gracie. Do you like one-pot dinner?"

They've prepared a meal and we sat outside in the garden for dinner. Judging by the amount and the way he ate, Archie must have been starving. I was kind of used to eating less since spending months in a hospital. Hospital food isn't quite New York's best dish.

„And where are the others?", Archie tried to talk to them but they didn't answer, „That was just a question. More people should usually work at such a big farm."

„Well, many men in this city work down by the river and our father and our brother are there, too. Sometimes they visit us. Do you have a place to sleep for tonight?", the older girl answered.

„Yes", Jughead answered fast, he was just as skeptical as I was.

„No", Archie said in just the same moment.

„We should leave you alone", I faked a smile, something was wrong here.

„You can stay here if you're comfortable with sleeping in the barn", she looked at Archie as if she was trying to flirt with him which annoyed me, honestly. I mean, this is serious. We're on the run.

„That would be really great. Can we give back to you somehow?"

„With a bit of work. There are some hay rolls that have to be transferred."

„But stay away from the house", the younger girl said dangerously holding the gun in her hand.

I couldn't tell if I was more afraid of her, Penny, Diego or Hiram. They could be a wonderful family mixed with psychopaths and sociopaths.

„We can't stay here", Jug finally spoke to Archie when we were laying some clothes onto the hay where we would sleep.

„I completely agree", I nodded heftily, that girl scared me.

„Only for one night. Where's the problem?", Archie replied carelessly.

„I've got no idea but something's scary in this town. It's like American Gothic to me. You're right. Where are the other people? And when I asked where their dad and their brother work, they totally lied to us."

„You mean just like us, Kal?"

„The thing is, we're on the run and it's freaking scary here. Jug and I have been tortured by Ghoulies. Even they didn't scare me as much. Something's wrong here", I told Archie trying to change his mind.

„Ellie, I've told you. If you want to leave, you can. I know it's not easy and you miss your family-"

„That's not the point!", I interrupted him unfriendly.

„Am I disturbing you?", the girl at our age came back holding blankets.

„No, no, absolutely not."

„Here are some extra blankets if you're getting cold tonight."

„Thank you, Lori."

I rolled my eyes behind her back, Archie was too easy around a pretty girl who was nice or acting as if she was.

„I'll see you tomorrow."

„Good night!"

„Are you serious?", Jughead must have noticed Archie's naiveness, too.

„What?"

„We've got to focus on our plan and not be distracted."

„We share that opinion. No distractions."

When we noticed Jughead sleeping deeply, Archie and I looked at each other and left the barn to sit down offside the farm. After all, I had promised him to talk. Talk about the past.

„So", Archie started slowly.

„So, you wanted to talk", I looked at him weirdly.

I mean, I knew that the situation between us was really complicated. So I had tried to think about Sweet Pea non-stop so I could tell myself that Archie and I have always been just best friends. But Sweet Pea and I were complicated, too. Actually, the whole town was complicated.

„We don't have to if you don't want to talk about it but you've probably noticed that this has been going on for years now."

„You're right, absolutely right."

„Ellie, I don't know what's going on right now, it's all a bit-"

„Much, huh? I can't imaging what you've been through", I sighed feeling sorry for him.

„Well, you almost got killed two times in a row", Archie laid his arm around me, I did the same so we got closer to comfort each other.

„I can't tell you what it is, Arch, but there's something between us that never got away. It's like four years ago."

„That's exactly what I mean, Ellie. The memories are always coming back. Sometimes there are moments in which I don't think about it but then I remember what happened between us and can't stop thinking about it", Archie gave me an irresistible smile.

„It may be possible that I feel the same sometimes", I admitted and without hesitating Archie and I moved our heads, we got closer to each other and shared a kissed. The beginning of a desperate but longing make-out session.