2

Tᴡᴏ
𝐷𝑖𝑠𝑡𝑟𝑖𝑐𝑡 𝐹𝑜𝑢𝑟

⚓︎

She wasn't sure how long it had been since she was dragged off the stage and stuffed into a small room, the locked door keeping her from escaping. It left the seventeen year old to pace the room, occasionally glancing at the clock on the wall to see how much time had passed, though each glance was only seconds after the other.

In her midst of pacing, the door was unlocked and opened, revealing her three brothers as the rushed towards her. Matrix was the first to her, wrapping his arms around her waist and pressing his face into her stomach.

"Please don't go," He said in a soft voice, the tears already rolling down his cheeks, leaving wet drops on her clothing. "Just say no. Stay here with us."

Adrienne smiled sadly, prying the boy away from her and kneeling down to his height, using the pad of her thumb to wipe his cheeks. "I'm afraid it doesn't work like that, baby brother."

"Why not?"

"I wish it did," Was all she said before wrapping her arms around him and squeezing him tight, knowing it might be the last time she'd ever see him.

Once they pulled away, she was gathered into another's arms; Niles. The blonde hugged him back, feeling his ragged breath against her ear. "Give 'em hell, ok?" He said, feeling her nod in reply. "You can win this. I know you can."

With that, the two pulled apart. As if on some beforehand agreement, the younger brothers bid their final goodbyes to their sister before exiting the room, leaving their eldest siblings alone.

In an instant, Adrienne rushed to her older brother, hugging him tightly as the tears finally fell down her cheeks. She grasped desperately onto her brother, hoping that this was all a nightmare and that she'd wake up back in her bed. But it wasn't.

"If I could take your place, Addy, I would." The boy whispered to his little sister, resting his chin on top of her head as his hands rubbed her back soothingly. "In a heartbeat."

She shook her head, tears already leaving small, dark spots on her brother's shirt. "I'm scared, Si." Her voice came out small and soft, cracking slightly. "I'm so, so scared."

"I should've taken out more bonds," Sire said, pulling away and looking down at the ground with guilt in his eyes. "You wouldn't of had to take out so many and-"

"No. This isn't your fault."

The siblings were encased in silence again. At least, until a loud knock sounded from the other side of the closed door. "Times up!"

The oldest Sallow's eyes filled with worry as he wrapped his sister in one last hug. "You can do this, Adrienne," He said quickly, the door behind him opening and Peacekeepers entering to pull the two apart, starting to drag the boy out. "You're stronger than you think you are!"

And with that, he was gone from view, and the door was closed once more.

⚓︎

𝑆ℎ𝑜𝑟𝑡 𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟, 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑖𝑠 𝑜𝑘 (: