15

No matter how hard she tried, Adrienne couldn't sleep that night. The thought that, I'm just a few hours, the kids she had been training with would be killing each other in a bloodbath just couldn't get out of her mind. But then again, how could it?

Sighing, the girl threw the covers off of her and placed her feet on the floor. She grabbed a wool overcoat and slowly walked out of her room, making sure her footsteps were light so she wouldn't wake anyone.

As she got into the living room, she could see someone sitting over by the window, their head turned to look out at the city below them. The corner of her mouth twitched up in a smile as she made her way over to them.

"Can I sit with you?" She asked, keeping her voice down.

Finnick jumped slightly, not expecting Adrienne to be up, considering the Games were tomorrow. "Hey. Uh...yeah. Sure."

The girl smiled gratefully and sat down across from him, pulling her coat closer as she looked out at all the lights.

"It's strange." She said after a few long moments of silence.

The blonde turned to face her, his brows furrowing. "What is?"

"Knowing that, by this time next week, I'll most likely be dead."

"Don't say that." He said sternly, but she could hear the slight heartbreak in his voice. When she looked over at him, his eyes were filled with worry and sadness. He shook his head as he looked out the window. "Just...don't."

"Why not?" She asked with a shrug. "It's true."

"You don't know that."

"I do, Finn. There are other people, strong people that will try and kill me when they get the chance." She trailed off, leaning back against the wall. "Besides, I don't deserve to win."

"Then who does?"

Adrienne answered immediately, not missing a beat. "Vern."

Finnick looked over at the blonde girl across from him, who was finally looking at her when he was. His eyes told her to go on, so she did.

"Vern and I used to live next door to one another. We were friends through most of our childhood; up until about eight." She said. "He has a little brother; around ten, I think. But that's it. His mother passed away years ago and his dad died in the shipwreck a few years back."

"I remember that." Finnick said softly. "My own father got caught in it."

The girl nodded slowly. "Mine, too." She glances over at Finnick before looking back out the window, taking a breath. "What I was getting at is that Vern has to survive. He needs to. Without him, his brother has nothing. No one to care for him."

"What about you? What about your family?"

"All I have are my brothers. And even then, they have each other; they have family. They'll go on." The girl's voice became softer the longer she spoke, not having much embers anymore. "Finnick, I want you to promise me soemthing."

"Anything." He spoke in a heartbeat, still looking at the blonde girl.

"I want you to promise me," The girl started, lifting her head and looking into Finnick's eyes to make sure he understood she was serious. "That Vern makes it out alive. Not me."

The blonde furrowed his brows. "I can't really do much about tha-"

"Then do what you can." She interrupted. "Listen....he has so much more to live for. So much more potential in his life. So, promise me, that he lives and I die."

There was a long moment of silence that passed between the two, with each staring deeply into the other's eyes. She could tell that the next few words were hard for Finnick, but he spoke them anyways, despite the hurt in his eyes.

"Ok." He said softly. "Ok, I'll do what I can. I promise."

She gave a half hearted smile. "Thank you." With that said, the girl slowly stood up, pulling her coat closer to her body. "I should go get some sleep. Goodnight, Finnick."

"Goodnight, Adrienne."

She nodded her head to him before turning and walking away. Even as she laid down back in the plush bed, a million thoughts were stuck in her mind, one standing out in particular.

Why do I feel this way about Finnick Odair?