22

Their walk was slow, not wanting to attract attention to themselves with their loud footfalls. Within a an hour, however, Adrienne and her new found ally reached the tall grass field surrounding the cornucopia. A place both girls never wanted to return to, knowing the careers most likely took it over.

"We need weapons." The brunette suggested. "If we're going to end against the careers, we better be armed."

"We have-"

The younger girl cut her off. "With proper weapons. Ones we're trained with."

Knowing there was no way to deny her reasoning, Adrienne just nodded. With that, the two of them pushed their way as quietly as they could through the tall grass.

After just a minute or so, they reached the edge, both crouching down to stay out of sight. From here, they couldn't see anyone. That didn't mean they weren't there.

"They're here." The blonde girl said. "I can feel it."

"We'll be in and out." Sarah told her before standing and sprinting over to the cornucopia, the girl from Four right on her heels.

Adrienne stayed alert, whipping her head in every direction as she ran; hopefully Sarah didn't have a death wish.

They safely reached the metal structure and started searching for anything that could benefit them. Adrienne found a bunch of weapons, which she took as a sign that the careers had indeed not left. They wouldn't leave supplies around like this.

The tribute from Four managed to equip a sword, which she would give to Vern later, a belt of throwing knives and a machete. From the corner of her eye, she saw something that made her smirk; a glistening spear was propped against the wall.

She grabbed it, but as she did, she heard voices echoing throughout the cornucopia. The careers were back, and they were right around the corner.

Sarah looked at her with wide eyes, a small blade in hand, and the older girl just pressed a finger to her lips. She crept out through the opening and saw only two tributes, both from what the girl thought was Eleven.

"Hey!" She called and they quickly looked over at her, bloodlust in their eyes.

The boy wasted no time in lunging at her, slashing his blade all over the place. Adrienne just kept backing up, hoping to lead the two of them away from the cornucopia; away from Sarah.

He pounced at the blonde, but she only side stepped out of the way, causing him to stumble over his feet. Adrienne was about to finish him when she felt an arm lock in a tight grip around her neck, putting her in a chokehold.

The District Four tribute stumbled back, dropping her spear as she lifted her hands and attempted to pry the arm away from her neck. She could feel her air supply running low, causing the girl to gasp for air.

Just as her vision was about to go away, the pressure was relieved from her neck and the sound of a cannon went off.

Adrienne stumbled forwards, gasping for air as she retrieved her spear again. She looked around for the boy from Eleven, but saw him nowhere; he had taken off.

Who she did see, however, was the one who saved her. The one who she was very grateful to see at that moment.

"I thought you were dead, you son of a bitch." Adrienne couched, her throat in pain.

Vern just laughed as he twirled a blade around his finger. "Can't get rid of me that easily."

"