26

The girl made her long journey to the dam, the sound of rushing water growing louder and louder the closer she got. Until she got so close that she felt like her ear drums would burst.

The hills rose at a steep incline, going right up to the top of the structure. With a deep breath, she started her long hike. By the end of it, her legs ached and her hands were scratched and blistered, but she sighed in relief. She had made it.

This would be her end game.

Suddenly, a loud cannon went off, causing the girl's heart to skip a beat. She turned her head and saw the face of the District Six female tribute displayed on the sky. That meant there was only one person left besides herself.

Kit Benson.

But she wouldn't dare go after him. She had the advantage here, with the water lapping over the edge and splashing the pavement.

The girl decided to make camp, climbing up a tree near the edge of the dam. She wasn't sure how long she spent up there, but it felt like ages before she heard twigs breaking below her.

Pressing her back against the tree, the bark digging into her back, her eyes locked on the ground below. Not a second later, brown locks came into view, the person carrying a shaky edged sword as he scanned the area.

Adrienne waited until the boy was out of view before she grabbed her sword and climbed down the tree, heading the same direction she saw Kit go.

She ended up on top of the large dam, following his muddy footprints out to the cement pathway, each side a dangerous and terrible way to go out; falling hundreds of feet or drowning. Neither she wanted to experience.

Before she could dwell on it longer, a intense pain radiated throughout her back, causing her to stumble to the ground as she bowled in pain. Turning over, she was met with the sinister smile of the District One career.

"Long time no see, Sallow." He sneered, the bloodlust clear in his eyes.

"I don't...want to kill you." Adrienne said through the pain, trying to ignore the feeling of her shirt slowing soaking up red.

"That's too bad, cause I really want to kill you."

With that, the boy lunges at her, brining his blade down. The girl's eyes went wide and she rolled away, the knife hitting the cement right where her head once was. Unluckily for the girl, she landed about halfway off the side of the dam, the rushing water just a few feet below.

She didn't have the chance to stand up before Kit yanked her back, practically throwing the girl a few feet away. She yelled as she landed on her wrist, pain shooting through it.

With a groan, she rolled onto her back again. She looked around and her eyes went wide as Kit was nowhere in sight. The girl stood up slowly, furrowing her brows.

As she went to take a step, the ground shook below her, causing her to stumble around a bit. The Gamemakers were sure putting on a show; first the dam, now the earthquake.

"Surprise." A voice said behind her.

The girl spun around just as Kit brought his blade up, slashing Adrienne across her stomach. It wasn't deep, she could tell, but it hurt like hell.

He pushed her down and the girl had no choice but to let it happen, too weak from blood loss to fight back. The boy held his blade to her throat, ready to finish her off.

"Any last words?" He asked in an amused tone. This was his last kill, and then he would be home free.

The ground below her was still shaking, and a cracking sound echoed throughout the arena, resembling the sound of tumbling rocks. Adrienne's eyes drifted to where a large crack was forming down the center of the dam, only getting bigger as time passed.

A small smirk formed on her lips as she looked at the boy above her. "If I drown, you drown with me."

"