13

Adrienne brushed lightly at her dress skirt as she stood in line behind Vern. The outfit was beautiful to say the least; a white jeweled top with a short skirt, hues with different tones of blue. Her hair was pulled up into a braided crown, accented with small white jewels that matched her dress.

A comforting hand was placed on her shoulder and she turned to see her district partner giving her a smile. "You'll do amazing, Addy. I know you will. You look...incredible, by the way."

"Thank you. You, too, Vern." She said, giving the boy an honest answer. Cinna had dressed him in an all white outfit. The boy's undershirt had a few buttons undone, showing the top of his chest, his blazer open.

The boy just gave her a smile before turning back around. In the background, Adrienne could hear the conversation between the host and the male from District Two, meaning the girl herself would be on before long.

After a while, she heard Caesar call out a familiar name. "Now, this next guest has been, at least what I've heard, a popular amongst the ladies. You know and love him; Mr. Vern Everest."

The crowd applauded as a stage manager pushed the brunette it out into the stage. It took a second for Vern to compose himself after the shove, but before long, he was striding confidently over to where Caesar waited by the two white chairs.

"Vern!" The purple haired man greeted. "Welcome. Welcome. Please, have a seat."

"Thank you for having me, Caesar." Vern said with a happy smile that could make any girl fall at his feet. Adrienne has to admit, the boy was a good looking guy; any girl would be lucky to have him.

"So, Vern, tell me." The older man said, getting right into the questions. "Are there any girls back at home?"

Vern chuckled lightly, shaking his head. "No, no girls, I'm afraid."

"Oh, come on. There has to be someone. Do tell."

"I'm sorry to disappoint, but I swear, there is no girl. Not for me, anyways."

"I'm sorry to hear that. But, people are curious on what that was at the tribute parade. Care to share?"

Vern just shrugged. "There's not much to say, really. We were wanting to do something that shows a little more of our district than just fishing. We're the water...the ocean."

"And you couldn't have shown it better." Caesar said with a smile, earning an applause of agreement from the crowd. The man asked a few more questions before he stood with Vern, letting the audience applaud him once more before sending the boy on his way.

When he returned backstage, the Everest boy gave his partner an encouraging smile. "Good luck." He whispered to her as he passed.

She gave him a smile in return before she took a deep breath, hoping his wishes of luck would actually work.