Chapter 3

Seven Years Ago

Adam was a naturally shy guy, but adversity has a way of forcing one to do things that they'd otherwise not even dream of doing.

When he first came to Vancouver he was only eighteen years old, disowned by his family, and with nothing but a few suitcases and a few hundred dollars cash in his pocket that his older sister, Maria scrounged together for him. He knew that the road from there on out would be anything but easy, but nevertheless here he was, completely alone in a brand new city fending for himself. No big deal...

Vancouver was different from Toronto; Toronto was home, he was born and raised there, but Vancouver had a whole different atmosphere. For the bustling metropolis it was, It was oddly laidback; less stressful and more picturesque with its modern buildings nestled between the mountains and the ocean. Toronto was just another concrete jungle, a competitive city that never rested.

Going home wasn't even an option for Adam as he had no home to go to. Sure, he had cousins in New Westminster and North Vancouver, but they didn't seem all that interested in being there for him when he needed them most. But that night he wasn't going to worry about all that. He was out with his new university friends for Sophia's 19th Birthday and this was a chance to forget about his troubles and all his baggage; temporarily at least.

He was at least seven shots in when they got to the club. It was a bit sketchy looking, though which clubs arent; it had a bright neon purple sign out front with the word"Lux" plastered across the brick facade. As he walked through the entrance with his friends, it was as though he had entered into a whole new world from anything he had experienced .

The club was dimly lit by black lights. Bodies were pressed against each other as they swayed and gyrated to the blaring music. There were boys wearing jock straps dancing in cages with their perfectly toned bodies covered in a sheen of body glitter. Thanks to the vodka, the only thing Adam could really feel in that moment was the booming of the base as some technopop remix blared through the speakers.

"I loveee youuu" Sophia said as she drunkenly planted a kiss on Adams cheek.

"Girll I love you too!!" he slurred back at her as the two of them went on giggling like drunk sorority girls.

Adam glanced to the side as his eyes caught a man staring at him from across the room with a confident smirk. Adam was wearing tight mid-thigh length shorts and a fitted tight button down shirt; he was hard to miss.

He noticed the mysterious boy scanning him from his legs up to his face. Adam shyly looked down at him biting his lip nervously which made the mystery man smirk at him.

"I'm going to go use the washroom." Adam screamed over the blaring, as he walked away from his friends and disappeared into the crowd. He walked past the mystery guy who watched him intently with a darkened lustful gaze.

"Hi there, cutie." The mystery guy said, approaching Adam in the washroom queue. Adam turned around to meet eyes with the boy blushing slightly and smiling sheepishly at the handsome dirty blonde.

"I'm Ilya" he said with his hand outstretched to Adam as they two boys shook hands for the first time; marking the beginning of their lasting friendship. Ilya originally wanted to sleep with Adam, but seeing how innocent and vulnerable Adam was awoke a more brotherly sentiment out of Ilya. From then on he took it upon himself to look out for Adam, help him out as best he could and always look out for him.

Ilya and his older brother Nikolai owned Lux; when Nikolai was only 16 and Ilya was 14, their parents died tragically in a car accident. Nikolai started his own business doing God knows what, and Adam had a feeling he didn't want to know. But nonetheless Nikolai persevered, he built himself up from nothing and by his second year of uni he had opened Lux, and the rest was history. He'd been raising Ilya like his own, putting himself and his baby brother through university. At the time Ilya was also a student at UBC studying business and in his first year, while Nikolai was in his final year. From that night onward a friendship blossomed between Sophia, Ilya and Adam that would give Adam the family and support system that he thought he'd never have ever again.