Chapter 26

Dylan let out a huff as he stuffed his street clothes into the locker and straightened out his fresh maroon scrubs before slipping his white coat on. He wanted to call in sick today, but he couldn't. All he could think about was Adam. How he royally fucked up, how he should have just told him the truth from the beginning. He pulled his phone out of his pocket, opening his call log. Thirty Seven outgoing calls to Adam. Not one call back, not on received message. He wanted to give him his space, but even when he went to check on him at his apartment, nobody was home.

He shut the locker and took in a deep breath, letting it out as he lightly hit his head against the closed locker. He needed to explain everything. He was so afraid he'd lose Adam if he knew the truth, he hid it from him. But at the end of it all, he lost him anyway. Was he better off ripping off the proverbial band-aid and coming clean about his dark past with Adam? Would it have helped the situation at all? Perhaps, but it was far too late now to find out.

"Ah! Dylan, there you are." Dr. LaPointe said as he stopped in the hallway and walked into the change room. "You'll be a little understaffed today. Jones taking a personal day and Almeida isn't coming in anymore."

"What do you mean isn't coming in anymore?" Dylan eyes widened at him.

"He asked me for an immediate transfer to Tremblay Montréal's Surgery Internship, I got it all finalized yesterday." Dr. LaPointe said blankly.

"What?! He's gone!? He can't just go!" Dylan said, as panic began to mount in his voice. "Did he at least say why?!"

"He said personal reasons he needed a transfer immediately." Dr. LaPointe blinked confusedly at him. "Did he not tell you? Aren't you two are dating."

"No, he didn't tell me." Dylan said with a guilty sigh.

"Right, very well." Dr. LaPointe said almost robotically. "Delegate for today, Jones should be back tomorrow." He said with a polite nod before bidding Dylan farewell.

Dylan walked through the halls towards the ICU with a numb feeling in his extremities, a pit in the depths of his stomach. Adam was gone, and he didn't even get a chance to explain. After watching the boy for eight odd years, fate finally made him Dylan's, but his fear of taking responsibility, his fear of losing him for good, is exactly what led to his doom.

"He's been unresponsive for three days, he requires oral hygiene care every two hours and catheter care. He's on a drip IV, no solids, obviously." Dylan was jolted back to reality as he heard two nurses talking in the distance. The young blond nurse looked sad as she spoke, which was unusual.

"It's sad really, do they know what happened." The dark haired nurse asked sympathetically.

"He came in three nights ago with copious amounts of alcohol in his system, and overdosed on pain meds." The blond nurse sighed.

"He always seemed so happy. Everyone loved him. Why would he do that?!" The dark haired nurse whispered incredulously.

"Sometimes it's the ones who seem the happiest who hide their pain the best." The blond nurse said blankly. "It's heartbreaking honestly, he's coded three times in the past three days, they're worried he's suffered damage to both his kidneys and heart. Dr. Petrakis also thinks he doesn't want to wake up. He's hoping for the best but preparing for the worst."

"He's was always so young, sweet, and handsome. I hope he makes it through, he had such a bright future ahead of him" The dark haired nurse shook her head, a numb look in her eyes. "To think just last week I scrubbed in on a surgery with him and now he's fighting for his life."

"I know, they called him Prettyboy for a reason." The blonde nurse said with a melancholic smile as she sighed sadly.

Dylan's eyes shot back up to the two nurses as he felt his heart sink to his stomach. He marched straight up to the two nurses as they jumped at his sudden appearance.