Chapter 22

"And how long have you noticed the lump?" Adam asked the middle aged woman as he stared at her charts.

"Um, excuse me, how old are you?" The young man who Adam assumed was the patient's son asked him, staring at him with narrowed eyes and a finger resting on his lip.

"I'm twenty seven..." Adam said confusedly, not understanding why his age was relevant.

"Are you even old enough to be a doctor?" The man asked with a condescending scoff.

"I'm an intern, as of right now but don't worry, a resident will be overseeing everything I do, including the diagnosis." Adam explained professionally as the man glared at him angrily.

"So you're not a doctor. Not yet. Listen bud. I'm sure you're capable, but I want a real doctor, so you can go run along and find whomever you belong to and have him examine her." The man said bluntly as Adam fought the urge to slap him across the face, and cry. He chose to ignore the man and smiled at the woman in the hospital bed.

"Ma'am, I'm just going to need to examine the lump, if you could lift your sweater up just a bit." Adam asked politely as the woman kindly obliged and he palpitated the lump on her abdomen lightly. "Alright ma'am... sir..." he said warmly to the woman, and coldly to the man, "I just need to get a consult from my resident, I'll be right back, if you need anything please ring the callbell, a nurse will be in to help. I should only be a few minutes."

    Adam walked down hallways, passing by room after room, looking around to find Dylan, but with no such luck.

"Hey, Soph!" He said at the familiar blonde who appeared to be taking a quick breather near the nurse's station. "Have you seen Dr. Messina?" he asked seriously.

"I actually haven't." She replied glancing around to confirm, "You could try the resident's lounge, he might be on break. Is it urgent?"

"No, I just need to get a consult on a patient, I think she has a hernia but you never know it might be a lipoma. I need him to check." Adam said.

"Check the Resident's lounge, I'm sure he's there! I have to go down to the lab to get a few tests back, but do you want to hang out tonight?" Sophia said with a wink.

"I can't, We have a date tonight." Adam said with a glint in his eyes as Sophia fake pouted at him.

    Adam made his way down the hall, and towards the Resident's lounge. To think in a few months he would officially be a resident. The idea both terrified and excited him. As he approached the doorframe to the resident's lounge, he heard a dull eruption of laughter from a few male voices. He stopped dead in his tracks, though he didn't know why. It was as though his heart told him to stay right where he was.

"So Prettyboy puts out, eh?" One of the voices taunted as a few other chuckled at his comment.

"I'd fuck him. Hey Dyl, When you're done with him, pass him my way" A second voice chimed in teasingly.

"Hell I'm straight and I'd bend him over!" A third voice said as the men roared with laughter.

"I gotta say, Dyl! I didn't think you'd get your target." The first man said again as Adam felt a pang deep within his chest. Target?!

"The first year you do the Intern Bet and you beat us all." The second guy chimed in. "I guess we all owe you two hundred bucks now, eh bud? You earned it."

Adam could hear what sounded like the man roughly patting Dylan on the back, though he dared not look inside. At this moment Adam felt his heart clench in his chest, he felt like it would stop altogether. It was all just a bet, none of it was real. Dylan used him, made him fall in love with him, made him lose himself, all for two hundred dollars. That's how much he was worth? Two hundred dollars?