Chapter 15

"Pretty boy. You're with Dr. LaPointe." Dylan said coldly as he instructed each intern to their designated assignments for the week. Though Adam would much rather have stayed with Dylan, he did love working with Dr. LaPointe. Cardiothorasic surgery was Dr. LaPointe's speciality, it was fascinating working with the lungs or the heart. There was something so exciting and exhilarating about working with the two things that people need most to live; a heartbeat and oxygen.

Adam nodded coldly to Dylan, turning around and making his down the hallway. This is how it was between them and Adam hated it as much as Dylan clearly did. Adam slipped into one of the on-call rooms, locking it behind him as he waited patiently. Whenever they were at the hospital, Adam and Dylan would act cordial, professional, but cold and distant. Their only escape was this one old on-call room that nobody ever really went into. Adam's attention turned back to the door as he heard their familiar four-knock-signal. He unlocked the door as Dylan slipped in, with a naughty smile plastered across his face.

The taller man locked the door behind him as he snaked his hands around his little boyfriend's waist, pulling him for a deep loving kiss. Dylan would kiss him all day if he had the chance, but Adam eventually had to push him off.

"I hate having to pretend like this." Adam whispered, but Dylan cut him off, kissing him lightly on the lips.

"A few more months baby, I promise." Dylan said huskily as he nuzzled into the nape of Adam's neck.

"Why can't we just tell them, it's not like it's against the rules." Adam asked him, glancing up at Dylan with a pout.

"Trust me baby, people will talk. You don't need people saying things about you sleeping with me for surgeries." Dylan said, peppering kisses on Adam's cheek and neck. "I'm doing this for the right reasons. I'm protecting you."

"Ugh... fine." Adam gave in before giving his boyfriend a quick peck on the lips. "Have a good day."

"You too baby, remember we're babysitting Xav again." Dylan rolled his eyes with a smile as he watched Adam move towards the door.

Adam made his way down to meet with Dr. LaPointe in the cardiology unit. The older man smiled at him paternally as he handed him a file with the patient's information.

"Adam Acosta. Male, five years old. Suffering from shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, and heart palpitations. Came into the ER after going into cardiac arrest." Adam read the file out-laud, glancing at the echocardiogram and coronary angiogram scans in the file. Dr. LaPointe watched the gears seem to turn in Adam's head. The older man raised an eyebrow as Adam glanced up at him with a confused look on his face.

"Any idea's Adam?" Dr. LaPointe asked with a fatherly smile.

"Um... Is it Mitral Valve Prolapse?" Adam asked with a glint of curiosity in his eye.

"Are you asking me?" Dr. LaPointe teased the boy as Adam flashed him a knowing smile.

"It's Mitral Valve Prolapse, Sir. Severe by the looks of it" Adam said confidently. "I would suggest a mitral valve repair surgery."

"You're absolutely right. And you're going to be scrubbing in on your first laparoscopic mitral valve repair." Dr. LaPointe smiled at him as he lead him down towards the patients.

Dr. LaPointe opened the door and politely greeted the little five year old boy in the bed, along with his very concerned looking parents who were sitting adjacent to the bed. As the parents looked up at Adam, he felt his blood run cold.

"Adam..." The man said as he looked at Adam with a sad guilty smile. It was his cousin David and his wife Clara. When Adam's parents threw him out, they wanted to help, but they were afraid to go against the family; Adam could tell they were uncomfortable helping him so he took it upon himself to never ask them for anything. "Y-you look well..." David said with an uncomfortable smile.