Chapter 16

Adam groggily shuffled towards the door as he slipped one of Dylan's T-shirts on over his head. Adam chuckled lightly as he heard the doorbell going off time and time again and he knew little Xavier was getting impatient. Xavier loved spending the day with his Uncle Dylan and Uncle Adam, they were his new favourite babysitters.

"Hi! Thank you so much, I can't tell you how much of a lifesaver you are!" Ava walked in as Adam opened the door for her; with her three month old baby Nico in one arm, and little Xavier tugging at her other.

"No worries! Seriously, the pleasure is all ours. You know how much Dylan and I love having them around." Adam said with a smile, his eyes clearly still tired.

"He's asleep isn't he." Ava shot him a glare, making Adam chuckle. "Figures... Anyway, they've already eaten, Nico will need a bottle in about three-ish hours, and don't let this one eat any candy, the dentist had to fill in two cavities just last week ." She said ruffling Xavier's hair as he hugged Adam's leg tightly.

"Don't worry, I got it all handled." Adam gave her a warm smile as Ava set the baby bag down on Dylan's kitchen counter, putting the milk bottles in his fridge.

"Literally Chris and I haven't slept in weeks. Nico keeps us up every night crying. You've been forewarned." She jokingly patted Adam on the shoulder. "Good Luck!"

"You two have a good weekend!" Adam winked at her as she walked to the foyer. "I'm so jealous!"

"We will! I'm surprised Dylan hasn't taken you to the holiday home on the Island yet." She said shooting him a quizzical look.

"I guess we're just busy, but hey! That's the job we signed up for." Adam chuckled bashfully as Ava kissed her boy's goodbye and walked with Adam towards  the door. At first Adam was nervous to meet Ava, but since then they've gotten along splendidly.

"Alright, bud! Are out excited for today?" Adam asked Xavier as he shut the door behind Ava, turning around to ruffle the boy's soft chestnut brown hair.

"Yes! Ships!!" Xavier hopped up and down excitedly, making Adam chuckle.

"Yeah, buddy, ships! And if you're lucky we might see a few seaplanes too!" Adam said animatedly, which made the little nine year old all the more excited.

    One of Xavier's favourite things to do was go to Stanley Park and walk along the Seawall watching the ships go by. Cargo ships, boats, cruise ships, it didn't matter what type; something about them just made him so happy, and Adam loved to see it. Growing up, Adam had a lot of younger cousins, nieces, and nephews; so he was quite the expert at dealing with children, and he absolutely loved them. Xavier and Nico were no exception

    Up till he met Dylan he never thought he'd ever meet someone and raise children. Being gay, he never thought he'd have children at all, but since then he'd opened up to the notion of adoption or even surrogacy.

"Uncle Adam, Can I wake Uncle Dylan up??" Xavier asked excitedly with his signature big bright blue eyes.

"Uncle Dylan is really tired, he had a long day yesterday, so let's just let him sleep for now." Adam said with a sweet smile as he knelt down to eye level. "But how about you go watch some TV and we can play with your Legos in the living room?" Xavier nodded enthusiastically, grabbing his backpack and disappearing into the living room.

    Adam chuckled, shaking his head at how precious Xavier was, even though he wasn't Adam's real nephew not by any official terms, Adam had a soft spot for the kid, and the feeling was clearly mutual. He called him Uncle Adam from the very beginning, Adam didn't bother correcting it, and from the look on Dylan's face, he loved it too. Perhaps Adam might one day become his official Uncle Adam, but for now, Adam didn't want to spend too much time thinking about the future. He wanted to enjoy their relationship in the moment and not worry about what was or was not to come.