Chapter 12

Two weeks had passed since Dylan and Adam last spoke in a non-professional capacity; other than briefing him on patients and getting the odd consult here and there, Adam avoided any non-essential contact with Dylan. Dylan would stare at him sadly, watching him from a distance as he made his rounds and assessed patients and scrubbed into surgeries. Adam was cold to Dylan, though Dylan tried to make conversation with him, failing miserably.

"Dylan, as your best friend I feel obligated to tell you that you look so creepy right now." Alex said as Dylan stared at Adam from across the cafeteria.

"It's been two weeks, I thought he'd get over it by now." Dylan said through gritted teeth as he watched Fratboy, aka Thad flirting shamelessly with his Adam.

"Let him go, Dyl." Alex shot him a knowing glance as he took a bite of his sandwich. "You know it's for the best, given everything."

"I can't, and you know that. After all this time I can't get him out of my mind." Dylan tugged frustratedly at his chestnut brown hair. "How did all this get so fucked up."

"Do you really want me to answer that" Alex said sassily with an eye roll. "Perhaps you shouldn't have threatened to blackball him from surgeries for a start, maybe you should have just told him how you felt about him."

"I don't know what to say to him!" Dylan glared up at him. "Every time I look at him, I turn into the dumbest person in the world." Dylan groaned as Alex chuckled at him.

"It's simple, Dyl" Alex said teasingly. "All you have to say is, will you be my boyfriend?"

"I knew it!" Alex and Dylan turned to see Dr. Kaur sitting down at their table, setting her tray down as she glanced between the two. "I always knew it was a matter of time before you two became a thing."

"Shut up, Simran." Dylan glared at her. "Alex and I aren't like that. Never have been, never will."

"Dylan has a situation." Alex stared at Dylan evilly before glancing back at Simran. "He has this guy that he's really into, but he's afraid of rejection and he doesn't know how to "relationship".

"I'm sitting right here." Dylan glared at him out of the side of his eye.

"Don't care." Alex shrugged before continuing. "Anyway so basically he told him was just a fuckbuddy because he was thought he'd scare him off, and when he tried to get out of it he threatened him... with something that was important to the boy."

"It's Prettyboy isn't it?" Simran said tauntingly as Dylan's eyes shot up at her, which answered her question for him. "I figured, the sexual tension between you two is unreal. Plus you're always staring at him, it's kind of unnerving. And he literally runs away whenever he sees you coming. Wait what did you threaten him with."

"I was mad okay." Dylan said shamefully. "I may... have said I'd make sure he never entered an OR ever again."

"Dylan I've known you for what six years now? And you say some dumb shit sometimes" Simran glared at him knowingly. "That is by far the DUMBEST thing I've ever heard come out of your mouth."

"I've known him for nine and I second that." Alex said sassily.

"Do either of you have any real helpful advise, or are you going to continue to talk about me like I'm not here." Dylan glared up at both of them as they laughed maniacally at his expense.

"God, Dylan, seriously just talk to him. Tell him you're sorry, you're crazy about him and that you want to be his boyfriend." Simran said rolling her eyes. "Communication, bud. It's literally that simple."

But was it really that simple? Dylan had never allowed himself to be that vulnerable to anyone, and with the way that Adam kept pushing him away, he was afraid to. He was terrified to take things too fast with him, in fear he'd scare Adam away, but in the process he managed to scare him away anyway.