Chapter 25

"Male 27, Non-responsive, weak pulse and shallow respirations. Appears to have overdosed on painkillers and has alcohol in his system." The EMT yelled out, briefing the doctor as they ran the stretcher into the Emergency wing of Tremblay General.

"Let me through! I'm a resident here!" Sophia called out as she followed alongside the stretcher. "I found him unresponsive in the washroom, he took at least half a bottle of tequila and half a bottle of painkillers." She followed as the EMTs transferred him into one of the open bays in the Emergency ward as nurses began hooking him up to the heart monitors.

Dr. Petrakis was making his nightly rounds around the emergency room when he heard the sound of arguing in the distance. After he finished tending to an automobile accident victim and requesting an ortho consult, he turned around to see what all the kerfuffle was.

"Dr. Jones, I'm sorry but you aren't on duty, you need to wait in the waiting room with everyone else." The nurse said as politely as she could to Sophia, while still staying stern.

"Please, Kara! You know me, I work here, he's my best friend. I can't leave him he has nobody here!" Sophia pleaded as the nurse gave her a sad but sympathetic smile.

"What's going o-" Alex walked up to Sophia, stopping dead in his tracks at the sight of Adam laying lifelessly in the hospital bed, wearing a pale blue hospital gown. His skin was pale, the olive glow completely gone from his face. His eyes had dark circles around them and his lips had a his plump pink lips now looked colourless and lifeless. "What happened..." Alex' heart began to race as he looked up at Sophia.

"He... overdosed on painkillers with alcohol in his system." Sophia shuffled nervously from side to side. "I induced vomiting on him as soon as I found him, but he could have had them in his system for anywhere up to half an hour."

"Okay, good at least you acted fast. Let me take-" Alex was cut off by the sudden beeping from the heart monitor. "Shit. He's coding." Alex rushed over next to him, dropping the bed flat as he began chest compressions. The nurses rushed over with the crash cart.

"Charge 300!" Alex yelled. "Clear!" he applied to paddles to Adam's exposed chest as his body jumped. Alex glanced over to the heart monitor, Adam was still flatlining.

"Charge 300!" He called out again, taking deep breaths to hide his growing anxiety. "Clear!" Still no change.

"Come on, Prettyboy." Alex mumbled under his breath. "Please... Fight. Come on, bud." Alex looked up to the nurse before calling out again, "Charge 400! CLEAR."

Beep.... Beep.... beep... Alex felt temporary relief as he watched the heartbeat start up again on the ECG. Handing the paddles over to the nurse and walking over to the Sophia who looked pale, shaking in fear.

"Take him to the ICU stat and monitor him. Run tests to make sure his organs are functioning, especially his kidneys; keep watch for any signs of ketoacidosis, you know the drill. His stomach might still need to be pumped to insure all the alcohol and painkillers are out of his system." Alex calmly instructed the nurses. "Keep me posted on everything. I want to know everything." The nurses went on their way, wheeling Alex up to the ICU.

"Sophia... Hey Sophia. Listen." Alex put a hand on Sophia's shoulder. "You have to go wait in the waiting area. Is anyone else with you?"

"Our friends are already there, I came here with the ambulance." She said blankly, clearly still dazed from watch her best friend in the whole world almost slip away.

"Listen, there's nothing you can do here, go to the waiting room." Alex comforted her with a pained smile. "I know what you're going through, I know you want to be put on his case. I can tell. I can't do it, you're too close to him. I can call Dylan, he needs to know."