8

Reaping day had soon arrived and the blonde girl sighed and she looked in the mirror. She gave up trying to look nice, seeing as either way, she would be in the Games. It was either her, Annie, or Mags, and there was no way she was letting the other two go back into the arena.

Besides, she had to be there with Finnick. Adrienne knew that he was going back into the arena, and she was going to make sure that she was the one going in with him. She had to be there to protect him, just like they always did.

Her eyes traveled down to the silver band that rested on her ring finger, the waves etched into the metal seeming to actually move. Finnick, having planned the proposal ages ago, resized his trident ring to fit into the girl's finger, which made it have much more meaning to her.

With one last glance at her outfit in the mirror, she left her house. Right outside was a small squad of Peacekeepers, waiting to take her to town square.

Her face remained emotionless the whole way there, not a single trace of a smile covering her features as she was led through the crowd. The four victors climbed up the steps onto the stage, taking their positions near the glass bowls containing the cards.

"Welcome, welcome." Fleurie said into the microphone, but her voice didn't have the same pep that Adrienne always remembered. She sounded happy, but not excited like usual. "To the third annual Quarter Quell, of the Hunger Games. Up first...the gentlemen."

The woman turned, her heels slowly clicking against the stone as she approached the table on top of which was the glass bowl that contained one name. One card.

Finnick's.

She went back to the mic, clearing her throat as she opened the card. "This year's male tribute; Finnick Odair."

Adrienne looked over and saw the blonde boy putting on a show. He wore his all too familiar smirk as he waved to the crowd, pretending to be glad to return to the Games, keeping up his image.

Once he was set in his place beside Fleurie, the escort spoke up once more. "And now, for the ladies."

She walked over to the bowl, doing the same thing as before and pulling out a single card, before walking back to the microphone.

"This year's female tribute...Annie Cresta."

Adrienne's heart dropped as she heard the girl's name. A loud cry came out and she looked over at the red head to see her crying violently, holding her hand over her mouth.

The blonde looked over at Finnick, who shook his head with a serious look, knowing what she was going to do. Her eyes flicked over to Mags, who looked like she was going through a debate in her mind.

The old woman looked as if she was about to raise her hand, but Adrienne beat her to it when she stepped forwards, looking directly at Fleurie with a stone cold face.

"I volunteer as tribute."