Chapter 48: The Reunion

Tick, tick, tick.

A clock. A clock is the first sound I hear. It's the first noise that graces my ears, followed by a low rumble of what sounds like machinery. Where the hell am I? I wonder, slowly peeking my eyes open. A piercing light comes into my vision, causing me to wince.

"O-ow," I whine with a groggy voice.

"Y/N," a familiar voice says before calling, "Hey! She's up!"

Slowly but surely, my eyes flutter open, the fluorescent glow of the lights hanging above me illuminating the room I'm in. The four walls surrounding me are all pristine and clean, each panted a sharp white with gray details. Medical equipment rests in holders as monitors keep watch over my vitals, each quietly chirping. Based on these details, I can safely deduce that I'm at some sort of a medical facility, most likely a hospital.

"Hey," that same voice says softly, grasping my attention.

My eyes stagger in the direction the voice originated from when they collide with a set of the most beautiful onyx orbs. They are so beautiful, the way they shimmer in the artificial gleams reminding me of how the black shores on Punalu'u Beach of Hawai'i glimmer in the sun. They're just so stunning and alluring, but even more so, they're calming. Seeing them immediately sets me at ease.

"Kaito," I smile, my voice sounding groggy.

"Hey," he smiles back, giving my hand a gentle squeeze. "How are ya feeling?"

"A little tired," I reply with a yawn. "Where am I?"

"My parents' hospital," another voice answers.

I turn my head, meeting another familiar set of eyes. They are big and bright, the irises a unique shade of magenta that reminds me of jewels. The owner of those eyes is on the other side of my bed, just standing and watching over me as her hands remain rested on my bedrails. Concern bathes her smooth features, pulling her lips into a wavering line.

"Hiyori? Are you okay?" I ask, cocking a brow.

A relieved smile bows her lips as she laughs, "Shouldn't I be the one asking that?" We both continue to laugh when her tone shifts. "But for real, Y/N. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I reassure her. "Just tired...and kinda hungry."

"I can go get you something from the cafeteria," she suggests.

"Really?" I ask, the thought of food filling me with a sense of joy.

She giggles, "Yeah. I'll be back. Keep an eye on her."

"Will do," Kaito says.

At that, Hiyori turns and makes her leave, heading for the cafeteria, leaving me alone in the room with Kaito. That doesn't faze me, though. In fact, I'm a hundred percent okay with that.

"So..." I say in a sing-song tone, turning to Kaito.

"So..." he repeats with a smirk.

"So...how'd I end up here?" I question with a laugh.

He holds my hand in his, his thumb stroking my skin as he sighs, "I found you unconscious last night outside the boutique."

I knit my brows in confusion. Why was I at the boutique? I thought I was at the award ceremony. The events of last night are blurry. I recall going to the Paxton Free Young Award ceremony with Mr. Sui. I remember running into my parents. I know YM/N received the award. And I am still painfully aware that Rei's father said some things to not just me, but my parents and Kaito and his father. However, after all that, things become fuzzy.