Chapter 53

For the next five minutes, we scoured the hallways in search of Artie, but he was nowhere to be found. I hoped that we would see him before the assembly started, but I didn't think that was going to happen as the school was pretty much empty at this point. I wasn't sure how he was going to take the news we were going to give him, whether he would believe us I had no clue. However, the thought of getting to see Artie being crowned King made my heart melt with glee.

"Oh, Arthur!" Shrek called out. "Come out, come out wherever you are..."

We then heard mumbling and banging sounds coming from one of the lockers.

"What's that noise?" Puss asked.

"No idea." I shrugged. "Sounds like something is inside that locker over there." 

I headed over it and began to pull at the door, which seemed to be jammed. Eventually, I got it open, and to my shock, Donkey fell out. We had all wondered where he had gone to as he'd disappeared somewhere.

"Yeah, you better run, you little punk no good-niks," he yelled. "Cause the days of little donkey dumpy drawers are over!" 

We looked down the hallway and spotted two students hiding behind a pillar laughing at him, they then proceeded to run into the gym. We walked over to the door, but one of the hall monitors stopped us from going inside. Two guys then approached the door; one dressed as a Griffin, and the other was a dragon.

"We're here for the Mascot Contest," the guy in the griffin costume said.

The hall monitor then waved them inside. Since I was supposed to in the gym as well, I turned to the others to let them know.

"Not sure how you guys are going to get it, but good luck," I whispered.

I was allowed inside and saw that the assembly was already in progress. Professor Primbottom had just finished what I had imagined being a compelling and energetic speech on 'How to just say nay.' Principal Pynchley was thanking him for it before proceeding on to announce the winner of the mascot contest. I stood by the near the bleachers, waiting for Shrek and the others to come in.

"And now, without further ado," he said through his megaphone. "Let's give a warm Worcestershire-hoozah to the winner of our "New Mascot" contest, the—"

Just as he was about to call out the winner, Shrek burst through the doors, startling him and everyone else in the gym.

"Ogre?!" he gasped.

"That's right," Shrek yelled out. I'm the new mascot. So let's really try and beat the other guys... at whatever it is...they're doing."

The band started to play, and everyone began to clap to and cheer. I headed over to where Puss and Donkey were standing as Shrek continued to stride on forward.

"This is indeed all a bit unorthodox-" Principal Pynchley began to say to him, but Shrek snatched the megaphone out of his hand before he could continue speaking.

"Now," He yelled into it. "Where can I find Arthur Pendragon?"

All the students pointed upwards; we turned around to see that Artie had been wedged into the basketball hoop and was hanging helplessly above the ground. People began to burst out in laughter, which made me clench my fists together and my face scrunch in anger. I spotted Lancelot fist-bumping one of his friends, and I immediately wanted to climb up the bleachers to him and give him a piece of my mind.

"You should be ashamed of yourself," Donkey yelled to him.

"I didn't do it. They did." Lancelot said, pointing up. I looked and spotted Gary and Xavier laughing their heads off, and there was me thinking they were nice. Shrek then pulled Artie down to meet his eye level.

"Please don't eat me," Artie pleaded.

"Eat him, Eat him," Everyone began to chant. Even the principal Pynchley joined in. Unbelievable, he was supposed to be setting a good example.

"He isn't here to eat him!" I yelled, causing everyone to groan in disappointment. Shrek then pulled him down, and I hurried over to check whether Artie was ok.

"It's time to pack up your toothbrush and jammies," Shrek said, turning to Artie. "You're the new King of Far Far Away."

"W-what?" Artie uttered.

Other students gasped in shock and disbelief; I bet they didn't see that coming.

"Artie a King?" Lancelot chuckled. "More like the Mayor of Loserville."

This caused everyone to laugh, and that got on my nerves so much that I had to defend Artie, enough was enough.

"Well, at least he's going to be known for something of high importance," I yelled at Lancelot. "All you're going to be known for is losing to a girl in a sword-fighting tournament."

Everyone then busted out in hysterics, and I was quite pleased with my snappy comeback.

"Not so smug now, are you Lancelot?" I turned to Artie, and he smiled at me and then proceeded to turn back to Shrek.

"Is this for real?" Artie asked.

"Absolutely," Shrek replied. "Now clean out your locker, kid. You've got a kingdom to run-"

"So wait, I'm really the only heir? He interrupted.

Shrek hesitated for a quick second before answering. "The one and only."

I didn't know why he did that, I just brushed it off and didn't think anything of it.

A smile grew on Artie's face, and I had a strong feeling that he was about to do something embarrassing. And how right I was.

"Give me just a second." He smirked, walking towards the middle of the gym floor.

"Artie, what are you doing?" I moaned, pinching the bridge of my nose and closing my eyes.

Once he got to the centre, he proceeded to make a speech.

"My good people," Artie began. "I think there's a lesson here for all of us. Maybe the next time you're about to dunk a kid's head in a chamber pot, you'll stop and think, hey, maybe this guy has feelings. Maybe I should cut him some slack. Because maybe, just maybe... this guy's gonna turn out to be, uh...I dunno...a King! And maybe his first royal decree will be to banish everyone who ever picked on him. That's right, I'm looking at you, jousting team." He said, turning to Lancelot and his friends.

He then turned and looked up at Gwen, who was sitting on the opposite side of the room.

"And Gwen... oh, Gwen." He sighed. "I've always loved you."

I swear at that very moment I felt my heart brake a little; I took a deep breath to keep my emotions in as best as possible, and surprisingly it worked. However, I was still slightly hurt by what Artie had said and questioned whether or not he meant it. Gwen certainly didn't like it and just gave him a screwed look.

"Ew." She said, which made me kind of happy as she turned down his affection to her yet again. I hoped that Arite got the message that she wasn't at all interested.

"Well good friends, it breaks my heart, but, enjoy your stay here in prison while I rule the free world baby!" he cried, which made me chuckle a little.

"Alright, let's not overdo it," Shrek said.

"I'm building my city, people!" Artie yelled out to everyone. "On Rock and Roll!"

It was then Shrek went over and pulled him out of the gym.

"Ow," he yelped.

"You just overdid it," Shrek told him.

Puss, Donkey, and I followed behind them, but before I left, I turned back to see the look of many stunned faces in the gym.

"Sorry about that," I said. "Well, see ya all later!" I waved, and I hurried out to catch up with the others. It was goodbye Worchesterchire Academy and hello freedom. And so, the journey back to Far Far Away began.