Chapter 8

I honestly felt sorry for Fiona. I mean, can you imagine having to turn into an ogre every single night? I would absolutely hate it. Sadly this was the life she'd ever known. That explained why she was so frustrated with Shrek when he rescued her; she needed an actual prince to break her curse and free her from this miserable life.

"I was placed in a tower to await the day my true love would rescue me," she explained. "That's why I have to marry Lord Farquaad tomorrow before the sun sets, and he sees me... like this."

She then began to sob, tears trickling down her cheeks. I walked over, placing my hand on her shoulder, giving her a comforting pat.

"Oh, Fiona," I said. "It's going to be ok."

"All right, all right. Calm down," Donkey added "Look, it's not that bad. You're not that ugly. Well, I ain't gonna lie. You are ugly."

"Donkey!" I gave him a stern look. "Seriously? Not helping."

"What?" He said, "She only looks like this at night. Shrek's ugly twenty-four seven."

I shook my head while pinching the top of my nose. Did he have to say that? Of all times?

"Guys, I'm a princess." Fiona continued to sob, "And this is not how a princess is meant to look."

"Fiona," I turned to her. "Why don't you just not marry Lord Farquaad?

"I have to Katie." She sighed, wiping away her tears. "Only my true love's kiss can break the spell."

"But, you know, um, you're kind of an ogre," Donkey said. "And Shrek... well, you got a lot in common."

Fiona looked up at both of us, squinting her eyes. "Shrek? I can't just marry whoever I want. Take a good look at me, guys." She said. "I mean, really. Who could ever love a beast so hideous and ugly? 'Princess' and 'ugly' don't go together. That's why I can't stay here with Shrek. My only chance to live happily ever after is to marry my true love. Don't you see, guys? That's just how it has to be. It's the only way to break the spell."

"Seriously?" I exclaimed. "There isn't any other way?"

"You at least gotta tell Shrek the truth." Donkey said, heading towards the door.

"He's right, Fiona," I said, also heading towards the door. "He needs to know this."

"No! You both can't breathe a word." Fiona yelled. "No one must ever know."

Donkey turned back to her, "What's the point of being able to talk if you gotta keep secrets?"

"Promise you won't tell. Promise!" She pleaded.

"Ok, we won't tell him. But you have to eventually." I said to her as Donkey, and I left the mill.

We headed down the steps and found a spot to sleep on the grass; I let out a long yawn before lying down and making myself comfortable.

"Hey, where's Shrek?" Donkey asked.

I looked around in the darkness, trying to spot where he was. "No idea, he must still be collecting more firewood."

"How long does it seriously take to get firewood?"

"He wasn't getting firewood, Donkey," I yawned, trying to get myself comfy. "He must have wanted some time alone."

"Still?" He asked. "It's getting pretty dark."

"Donkey, just go to sleep." I groaned. "He can take care of himself, he'll be back eventually.

Donkey sighed before he went to sleep. It had been a strange day, and after all the madness that happened, I needed a well-earned rest.