Chapter 11

It didn't take us long before we reached the church. I pointed it out, and Donkey instructed Dragon not to land too far from it. As she landed, several guards who were surrounding the area scattered in different directions. We slid off her back and began running towards the church. Donkey quickly told Dragon that if she was needed, he would whistle for her. Shrek was ready to fling open the doors when Donkey and I stopped him.

"Shrek, wait, wait!" Donkey called out. "Wait a minute! You wanna do this right, don't you?"

"What are you talking about?" Shrek groaned, waving his hands in the air.

"There's a certain line you have wait for," I explained. "The preacher's going to say the line, 'Speak now or forever hold your peace,' and that's when you say, I object!"

"I don't have time for this!" Shrek pushed past us and grabbed the door handles.

Donkey pushed him so that Shrek's back was pressed against the door. "Listen to me! Look, you love this woman, don't you?"

"Yes," Shrek said.

"You wanna hold her?" Donkey asked.

"Yes."

"Please, her?"

"Yes!" Shrek cried.

"Then you got to, got to try a little tenderness," Donkey sang. "The chicks love that romantic crap!"

"All right! Cut it out. When does this guy say the line?" Shrek asked.

Donkey turned to me for an answer, but I just shook my head. " Don't look at me. I have no idea."

"We gotta check it out." Donkey replied.

Now, don't ask me how or why we got to this idea. I still don't understand why we didn't just listen through the door. Shrek started tossing Donkey into the air so that he could see through the rose window. I would have volunteered, but I didn't want to get myself hurt.

"What do you see?" Shrek called up as Donkey was high in the air.

"The whole town's in there." He said, falling back down before Shrek tossed him back up into the air again.

"They're at the altar." He added as he was tossed up for the third time. He then let out a loud gasp.

"Mother Fletcher! He already said it."

"Wait, what?" I yelled. "

"Oh, for the love of Pete!"

Shrek flung open the doors without catching Donkey, so he landed on the ground with a loud thud.

"I object!" He yelled, running towards the altar.

I don't know what occurred inside there after that. I was checking to see if Donkey was ok before realising that Shrek would need backup as soon as possible. We hurried back to Dragon, climbed back on her, and waited for the signal. I was beginning to get really worried when we heard a whistle from inside the church.

"Let's go, Dragon!" I said. She flew to the back of the church before diving down towards the large stained glass window.

"Hold on, Donkey!" I cried out, as Dragon crashed through the glass. She leaned over to Lord Farquaad, and in one swift move, she ate him up.

"All right. Nobody move." Donkey yelled, "We got a dragon here, and we're not afraid to use it. I'm a donkey on the edge!"

Dragon suddenly let out a loud belch, and Farquaad's crown flew out of her mouth before rolling onto the ground.

"Celebrity marriages. They never last, do they?" Donkey laughed. The congregation began to cheer for us, which felt quite thrilling. We had done some good for this town, and I felt like a true hero. Like I accomplished something.

"Uh, Fiona?" Shrek asked.

"Yes, Shrek?"

"I - - I love you."

"Really?" She responded.

"Really, really."

Fiona's face lit up with a warm smile. "I love you too."

The two then leaned in, and of course, they kissed. It was so heart-warming to see Shrek this happy, I almost felt a tear fall down my cheek. A sea of awwws then filled the church. Just then, gold and yellow swirls started to form around Fiona; she was whisked up into the air and began to glow incredibly bright like a glowing star.

"The spell," I thought. "It must be breaking!"

There was then a sudden burst of light, and a massive gust of wind ripped throughout the church, breaking every single window. She floated to the ground, and Shrek hurried over to her, I looked to see if she was ok and to my confusion, she was still an ogre.

"Fiona? Fiona. Are you all right?" Shrek asked, helping her up.

"Well, yes. But I don't understand," She stuttered, looking at herself. "I'm supposed to be beautiful."

"But you ARE beautiful." He said, and the two of them smiled at each other.

"I was hoping this would be a happy ending." Donkey chuckled.

And I can certainly say, I was glad that it was.