Chapter 38

I could feel the hundreds of eyes staring at me, but that didn't put me off one bit. I glanced at Lancelot, his smug look never leaving his face. I kept my mind focused; this was my chance to prove to not just everyone watching but myself that I could do this. I wasn't just going to be the new girl who was dumb enough to take on this massive challenge.

"So this is happening," Lancelot laughed. "When Guinevere said that you were going to be entering, I thought she was kidding."

"You can clearly see that she wasn't," I said sternly.

"Listen," He added. "This is going to be embarrassing for you when you lose. So just forfeit now, and you won't have to face total humiliation."

My face remained blank while I continued to stare at him. "No thanks, I'm here to win, and that's what I'm going to do."

He scoffed and shook his head, putting on his helmet. "I warned you, remember that. Prepare to be beaten, Clavell!"

"Bring it on," I declared, placing my helmet on too.

The crowd roared in excitement as we got into our starting position. The P.E teacher came into the centre with a white handkerchief in his hand. He raised it into the air and looked at the two of us.

"Let the challenge commence!" he yelled, bringing his arm to the ground and then hurrying off to his watching spot.

Lancelot and I kept our eyes on one another, circling each other and waiting for the right moment to strike. Everywhere around us was filled with an abundance of noise, people cheering for their favourite to come out victorious.

I kept bouncing on the balls of my feet while holding my two-handed sword tightly gripped in my hands. It was then that Lancelot quickly dashed towards me, his sword coming down towards my left shoulder, but my sword managed to swiftly intercept his. Our blades clashing together, the sound ringing in my ears. I then charged at him, striking at his sword with such force that he nearly lost his balance. Our swords continued to collide one another, and we dodged and dived each other's blows. He came at me again, but with one quick hit, he stumbled and fell onto the ground. A roll of gasps lifted into the air while Lancelot got back onto his feet.

"One point to Katie, zero to Lancelot," Pynchley called into the megaphone.

I let myself stretch for a short second and walked backed to my spot. Lancelot grumbled under his breath as he got back to his area.

"That was sheer luck," he called out.

"Yea, sure it was," I said.

We continued on. Another five minutes passed, and Lancelot managed to gain a point. He made such a big deal over it that is was annoying to witness. Time went on, and everyone was on the edge of their seats, continually cheering and chanting as we fought on. To my dismay, Lancelot obtained yet another point, and it was then that I began to get anxious. He only needed one more to win, and it was looking as though that I would be defeated.

"Give up now, Katie," he chuckled. "I'm going to win, so there's no point in trying. You're not good enough to beat me."

His words seeped into my mind; it hit me again and again. The voice of my dad was replaced with his, and I could feel the strength building up inside me. Dad would be the type of person to bring me down no matter what I would do, and I wasn't going to prove his theory of me right. I hurried over to Lancelot, and with all my power fought like I hadn't before. He was baffled by the sudden burst of energy I had gained, and in less than a minute, I won a point.

"Two all," Pynchley yelled. "Next, person to get the point wins."

"You're going down, Katie, I will win. I will remain this school's champion." Lancelot said.