Chapter 9

I was in a deep slumber, dreaming of being back home with my mum and Daniel when the echoing sound of a horn rang through my ears. This caused me to gradually wake myself up. As my eyes slowly opened, the figures that were coming towards me become a little clearer. There were at least six knights, a few of them were on horses. Who I then spotted on one of the horses made my eyes snap wide open.

"I-is that Lord Farquaad?" I thought to myself. "And why is Shrek with them?"

I quickly crawled over to Donkey and gently shook him.

"Donkey," I whispered. "Donkey, wake up!"

He let out a big yawn as he stretched out his legs, gazing around to see what was going on.

"What'd I miss? What'd I miss?" he asked, looking up to see the knights walking past him.

"Who said that?" He mumbled, slowly backing away from them. "Couldn't have been a donkey."

I picked up on what Donkey was doing and did the exact same thing.

"Princess Fiona." Farquaad bellowed.

"As promised," Shrek said with a stern voice. "Now, hand it over."

"Very well, ogre. The deed to your swamp," Farquaad announced, pulling out a scroll and handed over to Shrek. "Cleared out, as agreed. Take it and go before I change my mind."

He then guided the horse towards Fiona. Did this guy seriously think that he was her prince charming?

"Forgive me, Princess, for startling you," he said, gently. "But you startled me, for I have never seen such a radiant beauty before. I am Lord Farquaad."

"Lord Farquaad?" She asked. As she continued to talk, he clicked his fingers, and two knights came and lifted him up off the horse and onto the ground. 

"Oh, no, no Forgive me, my lord, for I was just saying a short... farewell."

She stared down at him, her eyes widening a little. I guess she finally understood all the 'short' jokes Shrek, Donkey, and I were making a couple of days ago about him. He was indeed a short guy, pretty much a dwarf.

"That is so sweet. You don't have to waste good manners on the ogre," Farquaad laughed. "It's not like it has feelings."

"It?!" I thought. "Did he really just call Shrek that?" It was what I heard next that not only made me even angry but absolutely stunned.

"No, you're right." Fiona snapped, giving Shrek a quick glare. "It doesn't."

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Only yesterday, Shrek and Fiona were all lovey-dovey and cute with each other, and now... it was as if they hated one another. Twenty-four hours really changed them.

"Princess Fiona, beautiful, fair, flawless Fiona." Lord Farquaad then took her hand and went down on one knee. 

"This isn't happening," I mumbled. "I must be still dreaming."

"I ask your hand in marriage." Farquaad continued. " Will you be the perfect bride for the perfect groom?"

Donkey and I gasped, turning to each other. Was Fiona really going to marry this horrible guy? And Shrek? He wasn't doing anything to stop it. He just stood there watching from a distance.

"Lord Farquaad, I accept." She said. "Nothing would make...

"Excellent! I'll start the plans," He exclaimed, interrupting her. "For tomorrow, we wed!"

"No!" She exclaimed. "I mean, uh, why wait? Let's get married today before the sun sets."

"Oh, anxious, are we?" He giggled. "You're right. The sooner, the better. There's so much to do!"

The two got lifted up onto Farquaad's horse, and then he, Fiona, and the other knights started leaving the area. Now my mind was utterly blown by what was going on. I began to run after them, but then I heard Shrek yelling at Donkey. I didn't want Fiona to go; I knew Shrek was the one with all the answers. So I ran back to them, and Shrek was, of course, was in one of his angry moods.

"Erm, I'm sorry, " I said in a sarcastic tone. "What was that? Why did you hand Fiona over to Farquaad?"

"I know." He boomed.

"Know what?" I asked.

"I know you and Donkey talked to her last night!" He continued to shout as we walked down the path. "You're great pals, aren't ya? Now, if you three are such good friends, why don't you follow her home?"

Did he hear us? I was a bit worried for a brief moment. However, by the way, he was acting, I realised that he had probably misheard the conversation. If only he would listen and let us tell him the truth.

"Shrek, l... I wanna go with you." Donkey uttered.

"I told you, didn't I? You and Katie are not coming home with me." We eventually stopped as he went off on a full-blown outburst at us. "I live alone! My swamp! Me! Nobody else! Understand? Nobody! Especially useless, pathetic, annoying, talking donkeys and thieving, troublesome little girls!"

"Excuse me?!" I gasped, crossing my arms.

"But I thought..." Donkey whimpered.

"Yeah. You know what?" He yelled as he stormed off in the other direction. "You thought wrong!"

"Shrek!" Donkey cried.

"Seriously?" I yelled out to him. "You really wanna act like this?"

I guess he wanted some time alone to calm down from his childish temper tantrum, so I told Donkey that we should just let him be and that he would be ok... eventually. Everything was falling apart, and I didn't know what we were going to do or what was going to happen. All I knew was patience was key.