The Explanation

Annalise's POV

I lay on my back, limbs spread out like a starfish, the grass underneath me tickles the back of my neck and ears. A slight shiver runs through me as a breeze sweeps over me, three days... it has been three days since it was all over. Everyone I had ever known throughout my life is now dead, the only survivors are me and BEAST. 

I think back on my life, reminiscing on how it had changed so drastically, in a way I would have never imagined. I guess you really can't predict the future. Do I regret anything? No. Would I have done anything differently? Possibly. Would I ever go back in time and refuse to do any of that? No, even if I wanted to, I don't think he would allow me... one way or another we would have gotten to this point, even if he would have done it alone, we would still have been here today. 

I hear shuffling in the grass getting closer, a dark shadow looms over my face and I slowly open my eyes, he stands tall over me, his feet only a few inches from my head. 'I bought pineapple juice and biscuits' he states, I glance down and see the small white carrier bag in his hands.

I sit up as he sits down, I take the carton of juice from him and poke the small white straw through the designated hole before taking a long sip... refreshing. I watch him as he does the same. I turn to look at the view, I am unfamiliar with this town, I've never even heard of it before nor can I even remember the name of it, but that doesn't matter, this will be our new home, it's only a couple of hours drive away from my old home anyway, not that we will be going back there anytime soon. 

'What are you thinking about?' he asks, also looking over at the view. From the large grassy hill that we are sitting on the view of the town and the sky looks beautiful, the sun if high and it's quite warm. I can see small people in the town walking around and cars on the road. 

'Do you regret anything?' I ask him. 

'No' his reply is quick. 

'Would you have done anything differently?' I ask 

'No' 

'If you could, would you ever go back in time and not do any of this?' I ask him, the same questions that I had asked myself just moments ago. 

His reply is consistent, 'no'.

'Then why did you do all of this? Was this your plan from the beginning?' I ask, turning my body to face him and taking another long sip of the refreshing juice. 

He looks at me with a smile, 'You want an explanation' he states, I nod. 'Yes, this was my plan all along, I have succeeded...we have succeeded. We can now start our lives over again in a town where no one knows who we are, we can be whoever we want to be, and there is no one who used to know us who is alive' 

'That was your plan? To kill everyone and start fresh? We could have started fresh without killing anyone, we could have just ran away or something' I shrug. He opens the packet of biscuits, offering me one and I take it, I like chocolate chip cookies. 

'That would have been useless' he says, pausing to eat a cookie. 'I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you, but I don't want any distractions, I don't want some girls turning up wanting to go shopping with you, or your foster parents insisting we spend Christmas Day with them, or anyone from our past turning up to make our lives harder... I am selfish, I want you all to myself, I want all of your attention to be on me, I want to spend every single second of my time with you... I cannot do that with others around' 

'We will meet new people and make new friends in this new town, will you kill everyone here too?' I ask, eating another cookie. 

'There will be no need to, of course we will meet new people and act friendly towards them, but they will still be strangers so we will not ever be close enough to our neighbours for them to constantly come knocking on our doors or insist on spending festive holidays together, they have their own friends and family to spend their time with' he explains, crushing his now empty juice box within his hand before throwing it back into the plastic bag, 'I am yours and you are mine, we don't need anyone but each other... our childhood was not the best, our own biological parents disowned us the moment we are born, they have no idea who we are nor will they ever, the care home was not the safest or friendliest to the children, they would experiment on us... then we were adopted and we lived a lie that made us forget about the care home... now all of that is gone and we can start a new life just the two of us, we know who we are but no one else needs to' 

I nod slowly in understanding, 'so you wanted to create a new life together, where we could be whoever we wanted to be without fear that someone would unexpectedly turn up and ruin it or that we might run into someone from our past, with all of them dead we can travel anywhere, even back to that town and still have no fear that anyone will question us or our actions' he nods, I take another cookie. 

'We will live in this new town, you won't have to worry about work, the money that I have acquired over the years will be more than enough to live the rest of our lives comfortably, but if you so wish to get a job I will not stop you' he explains.

We sit in silence and slurp up the remnants of pineapple juice from the carton before also crushing it in my hand and throwing it into the bag. I look back over the view of what will now become our new home, suddenly I laugh and I cannot stop laughing. 

He looks at me, raising an eyebrow 'What's so funny? Have you finally lost your mind?' 

I shake my head, 'it has just occurred to me that you still haven't told me your name after all this time, it was the one thing that I couldn't find out no matter how hard I tried and now there are no remaining documents' 

He smiles at me, his teeth sparkling white under the sun's rays 'My name is...' 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm SO sorry, I honestly cannot apologise enough for the VERY LONG lack of updating there has been for this story! I got caught up with life and kept saying 'I'll get round to updating next week' which I kept saying every week until it had been AGESSSS. I'M SO SO SORRY!! 

I hope you liked this chapter, I know it's not very long but I guess it's because this book is sadly coming to an end (this is not the last chapter) and DON'T WORRY I have already written the last chapter so it won't be a long wait until it is posted, again I am so sorry :( 

I am unsure if there will be a sequel to this story as I have another (kind of similar, but not really) story called 'Crazy Town' which you guys should read if you enjoyed this story of this genre of story. However, if you would really like a sequel let me know in the comments and also let me know what you want the sequel to be about as I thought of a couple of ideas but couldn't really settle on one. Thank you ALL for being SOOOO patient with me and the slow updates of this story! COMMENT&VOTE