37

I nearly fall out of the cab in my attempt to get out. My eyes are met with a quaint looking shop, it's exterior walls made of worn brick, each brick appearing as though someone smudged a rainbow of pastels around them. A bright and rounded blue door opens as an older woman steps out, it's the woman from the bus. As soon as she sees me her face brightens with a soft smile.

  "Honey! I didn't think you would remember!" She quickly engulfs me in a warm hug, evem though I'm basically a stranger. Almost as if reading my mind, she pulls back.

  "Ah, excuse me, I get excited. What's your name, dear?"

  "Yin Emanon," I respond with a slight bow. Her eyes crinkle in the corner as she smiles yet again.

  "What an interesting name. You may call me Nonna, it's Italian," she gives a quick wink and swiftly turns towards the door. "Let's go in, shall we?"

  The door leads into a spacious area, a sweet fragrance blooming from somewhere reaches my nose.

  "Wow, that smells wonderful, what is it if you don't mind me asking?"

  "It's the desserts I'm preparing," she says with a slight chuckle.

  "No way." My mouth is already salivating from the delicious scent, I really, really want to try some. Again, almost as if reading my mind, she leads me over to a pastel blue counter, where a register sits. But behind that there are trays of different sweets.

  Who said love was heaven on earth, obviously food is love or something.

She places a small cookie looking treat on a small plate and hands it to me. Throwing most manners out the door, I immediately take a bite of the cookie. A rush of chocolate greets my taste buds, and after a little bit of some kind of sweet paste followed by the general cookie part, which is soft and nearly fluffy.

  I gasp as the flavor overload registers into my brain.

  This is so damn good. Screw it, I'm marrying a cookie.

 Nonna smiles at me and adds a few more treats onto a dish. It takes me a minute to remember my manners and thank her wholeheartedly.

I end up sitting down at a quaint table, drinking coffee with Nonna. I twiddle with the lace tablecloth, it's delicate patterns creating a story of a little rabbit in a city of birds. A smile spreads across my face at the overall coziness of the bakery.

  "I'm glad you're fairly happy in my bakery." Nonna gives me a little smile, I don't think this woman ever stops smiling to be honest. "To be honest dear, I just invited you here to repay you for that day on the bus, but you just seem so at peace here. I actually need another employee to help around here if you're not already busy enough, that is." She looks hopefully up from her coffee mug.

  Tears nearly prick my eyes as I respond, "I would love to work here Nonna. It would actually be a dream come true." She offers her hand to shake, and my small palm meets her even smaller one. Her hands are thin but she gives a reassuring shake with another soft smile.

  After coffee, we discuss details of the job. I would be paid a fair amount and have reasonable hours to work around college hours. It sounds amazing. Of course, I would have to be trained. She said her grandson, who usually works here, will help train me. She needs more help around the shop because her health has been declining and she doesn't want her grandson to get lonely.

  People on the streets give me odd looks as I walk by with the biggest and brightest smile on my face. I could probably win an award for more genuine smile about now. It seems like things are really coming together sometimes.

  For once, I really feel like I have something to look forward to in life.

  It's freeing.

____

Wash your nasty hands, you fools. I am not getting sick or killing others because you're too damn proud to take proper precautions for your and other's health.

Anyway, I hope you guys are doing okay in quarantine, and please please take care of yourself.

As always, thank you for supporting me.