39

June audibly gasps when his eyes meet mine.

  How awkward could this possibly get.

  I step past him and inside the building, I'm instantly hit with a warm and sweet scent. My nerves cant help but calm down at the familiar place. I nearly forget June entirely as I head to the counter. Nonna smiles and silently hands me a plate topped over by different treats.

  "Thank you." I turn around but then remember. "June, do you come here often?" That's when I actually look at his slim figure, wearing an all black outfit, a fine layer of white powder smudged in places.

  Wow, I'm so dumb.

  Before I can say anything else, he speaks. "I work here. She's my nonna." I can only muster up an odd smile in response. I should've seen this coming. Isn't that always what happens in the stories?

  The main character gets a new job at a fantastic place, and guess what, her possible love rival is there. But I'm not entirely sure what he would be a rival to in this case. And besides, it'll probably work put between us. Maybe his cold personality will be warmed up by the familiar surroundings.

  "Why are you standing there? We have work now," he tells me coolly as he walks towards the cooking area. I have to stop myself from rolling my eyes.

  Nonna makes eye contact with me and gives me a sweet smile, telling me it's okay. I give a small pout and follow June, I'm sure hes not that bad. He just needs someone to break him out of his shell. I'll smash it with a sledgehammer if it means the tense aura will vanish.

  Throughout the day I try making small tall, I'm usually met with small grunts, even the occasional vocal response. Its usually one worded though...

  At some point, it's the end of the day. Even though it was tedious trying to get a response from June, the  day went smoothly and I actually enjoyed learning how to serve customers and create a few treats. Nonna nearly throws us out of the kitchen as we start cleaning.

  "You kids are young, go explore the world or something. I can clean myself." She ignores are protests and I  the end we get practically thrown out the front door. Automatically, I start laughing. Nonna is such a treasure. June gives me a suspicious look before  a little laugh escapes his mouth. Somehow both of us are laughing while sitting on a curb, we must seem like utter freaks right now.

  "I know I seem kind of rude and all. I'm really not trying to be. If something bothers you, say it to me, okay?" He looks at me with genuine eyes as he speaks. I nod my head yes and we stand up together. "Actually, can I ask you a favor?"

  "Sure."

  "My mother is forcing me on a double date... but, um, the other date needs another person, which would be you. It's fine if you wish not to do it. I won't hold it against you but-" I cut off his soom to be ramble.

  "I'll go. It could be fun." I never would have imagined getting a great job and getting a blind date before this. Maybe things are starting to connect finally.

  "Okay, he will pick you up around six on Wednesday. Dress properly, I'm assuming you know how," he tilts his head in a curious manner.

"I will not show up in my pajammas." This does not reassure him very much. His eyebrows crease together and he frowns. "I am completely messing with you, I will dress properly." He nods in response.

  And to be honest, I'm completely excited about the date. I haven't dated someone in years. Maybe something good will come out of this. Who knows?

______
As always, thank you for reading.

Stay safe and wash your hands.

Please leave a comment and vote, it means a lot.