Chapter 38: Guilt

"Please"
"Do not ruin my son's life. Leave him."

|

"What?" Taehyung exclaimed softly, almost in a whisper to himself.

"You are a nice boy, Taehyung. But you and my sonㅡ that's not acceptable. I hope you understand that."

Taehyung's heart felt pierced at the rejection and disapproval of their relationship.

"May I ask why?" Taehyung wasn't looking at him when he asked.

Hoseok's father seemed to have halted for a second, before speaking again, "It's a sin. It's wrong and you both will never be happy."

"But what if we do stay happy?"

The man seemed provoked. He clenched his jaw and gritted his response, "I will not allow for my son to be with another man. It's disgraceful. You should be ashamed of yourself! Aren't you disgusted to be desiring a human of same gender? That's a sin!"

Taehyung's eyes stung, for he had never been the subject of such cruel disheartening comments. He chuckled and blinked, holding his tears.

"What are you laughing for?"

Taehyung looked at him and smiled, "Sir, have you ever heard of love?"

He furrowed his eyebrows, "Of course I have."

"Do you know what love is?"

"Such ridiculous questions." He grunted, growing frustrated, "Yes. I do. Why?"

"I'm sorry to ask you butㅡ do you love your wife?"

"What!" The man growled, eyes widening.

"Do you?" Taehyung looked at him seriously.

"Of course. She is my dear wife. I love her."

"Then if you can love your wife. Why is it wrong for me to love Hoseok? Just because I am a man, does it mean I do not have the ability to love someone?"

Mr. Jung scoffed, "Love someone who's a woman! Not a man."

"I did not fall in love with Hoseok because he is a man, sir. One thing that I may have learnt over the years is.. We really do not get to choose who we fall in love with. It just happens." Taehyung said softly.

"You are unbelievably delusional," He looked around and back at him again, and sighed, "What makes you think you love him?"

Taehyung smiled, "I love himㅡ for who he is. I believe love is about acceptance. If you love someone, you accept them for who they are."

"What rubbish-"

Taehyung sighed at his ignorance but regained himself instantly, "Why is it that you do not wish to accept us? I'm not asking about the religious reasons. But what as a father? As a father who loves his son. What is it?"

The man grew silent, speechless before he breathed in and heaved a sigh, "Hoseok-ah said I'd rather want him dead than accept him.. but that's not true. As a fatherㅡ I would want him to live an honourable life."