Chapter 2: Forgotten

PAST

"Mom, don't leave me here." Tae wailed

"Awh, Taehyung, you have to go to school, okay? You will have a lot of fun, make new friends, everything will be good." His mom comforted.

"Eomma, please." He sobbed while holding tightly onto her clothing.

"Honey, don't cry anymore. You'll see me in a few hours."

"Please don't leave me.."

"Mrs. Kim? The class will be starting" The teacher informed.

"Okay. Taehyung, be a good kid and follow Ms.Teacher" She pecked his forehead and gave him a comforting hug, hoping to stop his crying, and then left.

"Eomma!"

...

"I don't want to be here!" Taehyung weeped, his voice breaking.

"Taehyung-ah, don't cry, it's alright." The teacher assured.

"I want to be with mom.."

"Taehyung.."

"Eomma!"

"Yah! You're being too loud! Shut up." Someone groaned.

"Huh?"

"Ah, Hoseok-ah! Sit here," She leaned over a little to his side and whispered, "Please help him" and left.

"Hm? What are you looking at? You are such a cry baby." Hoseok scoffed.

"You- you are mean!"

"Pabo. Stop being such a kid."

"But-"

"It's not like your mom's going away. School is an important part of life, you need to make your mother happy by attending school."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"But I don't have any friend.."

"Oh. Sad." Hoseok rolled his eyes and sighed in annoyance.

"No, wait.. I'm wrong.. you are my friend!"

"Waitㅡ what?! When did I say that?!"

"Hoseok, you are my friend! I'm so happy!"

"Hey-"

"We'll have so much fun together! We'll make sandcastles, ride swings and see-saw, play tag and eat ramyun together!"

PRESENT

"Sorry, but, I don't know you."

Taehyung had a confused and awkward expression.

"What?" Hoseok muttered lowly to himself in disbelief. He could feel his intestines wrenching into nothing. He couldn't speak anymore. He didn't have the strength.

He tried to say something, anything; he parted his lips but hesitantly closed his mouth again and again.

To see his bestfriend, No, childhood bestfriend standing infront of him; after all these years, after all the distance, yet not being recognized. It was the greatest humiliation of all; Hoseok felt disgraceful and ashamed.

"Are- Are you okay? I think you- you might have mistaken me for someone else.." He chuckled in an awkward tone.

"Yeah, yeahㅡ I," Hoseok grinned, rubbing the bridge of his nose making sure he wasn't emotional or anything, why should he be? Everything had ended already so many years ago, "I think I did. Sorry."