Chapter 3: Photograph

PAST

"Please don't.." Taehyung mumbled in his crying voice, rubbing his moistened cheeks and wailing. His hands and legs full of bruises, fresh along with the ones that seemed a little old.

"We don't like your face, you deserve this!" One of the young bullies screamed as he punched the kid, "Why are you so good at studying? You should get punished!"

When the bullies were finally done, they left him exposed to the chill air stinging his irritated red skin. He groaned in pain and stumbled his way to the bathroom. The school day was long over, and hence there wasn't supposed to be anyone there.

He washed his bruises with the cold tap water while warm tears kept rolling down his cheeks, sobs filling the air around him.

Someone kicked the door open angrily and stomped inside, with a frown on his face, the boy seemed to be muttering to himself, "Why out of all people I have to get detention. All I did was sleep during class." His annoyed glare hovered towards Taehyung and it immediately faded away as he noticed him. He gasped upon realizing the situation.

"Oh my god," Hoseok walked over to him and gripped his hand, "How did these happen?!"

"Ouchㅡ that hurts" Taehyung sniffled.

Hoseok let go of his hand and slightly bowed, "Sorry." But his expression hardened once again, full of fury when he watched the bruises, "who did this?"

"It's- fine. It'll get better-" Taehyung smiled weakly.

Hoseok fixed his gaze at the guy, feeling sympathetic and angry at the same time, "Pabo! Why can't you take care of yourself?!"

"I'm- sorry.."

"And now you're apologizing for some crime you didn't commit. Yah, sorries shouldn't come this easy." Hoseok pouted.

"I'm sorry-" Taehyung said but stopped when he realized he did it again, he grinned slightly, "Yah, I did it again.. I'm sorry."

"Aish!" Hoseok sighed and poked Taehyung's forehead, "You are a fool."

"I know" Taehyung pouted.

Hoseok smiled and ruffled his fingers through Taehyung's soft hair, "Now I know what I have to doㅡ I'll protect you, always."

PRESENT

"It's so good to be roommates!"

There. It's confirmed he's the new roommate.

After sharing moments of awkwardness and silence, and not being able to stand the enthusiastic vibe Jimin gave off, Hoseok cleared his throat and went ahead with the conversation. They sat near the table and talked for a while, losing the track of time in the process. Hoseok was uncomfortable at first, but Jimin's free nature helped him to warm up.

"Listen," Hoseok started.

"Yeah?"

"Your friend, Kim Taehyung-"

"Best friend." Jimin corrected.

Hoseok clenched his jaw; and fist which rested on his thigh under the table cover. Remembering how Taehyung wasn't his bestfriend, or friend, or even acquantaince anymore.