Chapter 37: Pride

The dinner table was livelyㅡ Jiwoo wouldn't stop speaking about Hoseok's embarrassing childhood momentsㅡ Hoseok scowled and whined at her to stopㅡ Taehyung beside him, and Hoseok's parentsㅡ Father on the side and mother to the boys' opposite beside Jiwoo, giggled at the playful quarrel.

All was going well untilㅡ a calm silent moment descended upon the table. Everyone ate while Mr. Jung spoke about something general, not very invested, just a simple conversation about the news.

Hoseok's heartbeat was rising, his hand reached out to squeeze Taehyung's hand under the table. Taehyung looked at him, and the look that he saw in Hoseok's eyes, informed him that it was coming.

The storm was coming.

"A-Appa?" Hoseok called out, not leaving Taehyung's hand. He felt the tremor of Taehyung's hand, but undeniably, his own self was subtly shaking too.

"Tell me, Taehyung-ah! You're so good-looking, do you have a girlfriend yet?" His father asked frankly, not registering Hoseok's call, a wide smile over his face as he did, trying to get along.

"Wh-what?" Taehyung stuttered.

There was clear tension amongst Jiwoo and her mother's face too. Hoseok took a deep breathe and spoke, "About that..."

His father's eyes turned to him. Hoseok opened his eyes, bracing himself to speak, his voice felt stuck, he was quiet however his wavering voice eventually found it's strength when Taehyung squeezed his hand.

"Dadㅡ me and Taehyung are dating."
He managed to spit it out. But what now?

His father didn't hold any expression, his smile had faded and his eyes stared blankly at them.

"What are you saying?" He said sternly. No hint of anger on his face, but his voice was overly intimidating.

"We.. we are in a relationship. It has been.. No.. Soon it'll be 5 years." Hoseok gulped in fear, but he desperately tried to hold onto his ground.

His father put the chopsticks down on the plate, looking around to see his wife and his daughter looking back at him with eyes filled with anxiety. In that moment, he realized something.

"Did you both know about this..?"

"Dear, pleaseㅡ"

"Did. You. Both. Knowㅡ about this?" His eyes now filling up with rage, a fierce flame lighting up in his orbs.

"Yes, dad butㅡ" Jiwoo tried to convey something, but was paused by his cold stare.

His eyes went on and fell on the two boys, who looked back at him in fearful anxiety.

"Hoseok-ah." He called.

"Yes, dad?" He nervously said, Taehyung held onto his tighter that instance.

Mr. Jung's eyes pierced into Hoseok, "I request you to not bring shame to this family. Do not be a disgrace. Have you fallen this down that you are fine with being a fag?"

Hoseok's expression had fell, his eyes darting down to his plate in silence. But his father did not stop.

"Is this why you stopped going to the church? Because you were led astray from god's path? Homosexuality is unholy, it is a sin! I condemn such wicked and immoral act!"

"Dear, no!"

"You never change." Hoseok chuckled bitterly, tearing up, "I stopped going to the church because of you! You are such a blinded ignorant man.. You'd rather have me dead than accept who I am!" Hoseok yelled before he harshly pulled back from his seat and hurried out of the room.