chapter 14 - the second task

February 20, 1976 

boy's dormitory

James POV

ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ

Lily and I had become more distant, despite the fact that she knew I was breaking a major law being an unregistered animagi. She seemed too caught up with her darling Asa to notice anything. She wore his quiddich jumper so frequently, and it really pissed me off. Except, deep down, he still cared about Lily, like what happened last week between potions classes. 

f l a s h b a c k 

last week, I had been walking out of potions, and saw a cluster of girls. They all gawked at Sirius because they all fancied him, but stopped when they saw Lily and Wood walking together. 

"Hey, Evans! Quite the little wanker, aren't you? Wood is the what, 3rd guy you've gone out with?" A girl named Bertha Jorkins yelled.

"Never YOU mind, Jorkins!" Lily snapped back, reaching for her wand.

"Knock it off!" Asa and I said at the same time. We looked at each other, surprised. 

end of flashback 

Honestly, it was quite boring without pestering Lily. I had even started tightening my own tie, which Lily used to always do. 

"Prongs?" Remus asked from across the room. 

"Yes?" I asked, sitting up in my four poster bed. 

"Have you figured out what the 2nd task is?" 

"Nah. I opened the egg a few days ago and all it did was scream bloody murder and i shut it immediately." 

"Well, there's gotta be a way to crack it." Sirius said lazily from his bed. 

"Yeah, but how?" I asked, going to my trunk and reaching for the egg I had gotten from the first task in October and looked at it. "Anyone here take Ancient Runes?" 

"I do." Remus said hopefully. "Why?" 

"There's some kind of hieroglyphics in Ancient Runes on the side." I said, handing Remus the egg. Remus looked intently at the egg, brown stitched together in concentration. 

"This is really complicated. I think it says something like 'a clue is in a  place where you can float, but not forever, a place that can be dark and light, depending on the closeness to the light." 

"Sounds poetic, mate. Good luck." Sirius said sarcastically. 

"Well, just evaluate the nouns and verbs." Peter said hopefully. 

"What the hell is a noun and verb?" I asked. I had never been to muggle school like Peter. 

"It's a person, place, thing, or idea. And a verb is an action." Peter recited.

"Ok, so float, forever, dark, and light." I counted on my fingers. 

"Water?" Remus suggested.