chapter 23 - quiddich turned to jealousy?

october 28, 1976 

quiddich pitch 

james pov

ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ

All I'd been hearing for the past few hours was the sound of hopeless leather gloves barely brushing the quaffle. These keepers are, to put it lightly, awful. I really took Wood for granted. The person I hated last year I want back this year. Isn't that terribly ironic? 

"JAMES!" breaking my thought and switching my concerned expression into a crooked smile.

"Yes, Sirius?" I said, turning to Sirius, who looked slightly pissed off.

"We've been here for hours, it's nearly dinner. Just pick the best one you saw. Starr's gotta be your best bet, mate. He's blocked 4 out of 5 attempted goals." 

"Okay, thanks for that input. I'll make the announcement." I said, turning away from Sirius and calling everyone's attention. "HELLO, EVERYONE. ER, THE NEW KEEPER IS STARR. THANK YOU ALL FOR TRYING OUT, I CAN TELL YOU ALL TRIED YOUR BEST. YOU MAY GO TO DINNER NOW." 

A few groans followed as peoples' heads drooped in discouragement as they carried their brooms back to the  broom shed. 

"Off to supper, Jamsie!" Sirius said playfully. 

"Right back at you, buckaroo!" I said, ruffling his hair. 

We were a bit late to dinner but found our way over to our fellow Marauders. Remus is looking a bit peaky as he engages in conversation with Lily, and Peter, being Peter, is stuffing his face with five different types of bread. 

"Helloooo, gentleman." Sirius said sarcastically. 

"How were tryouts?" Lily asked, looking away from Remus. 

"Abysmal at best."  replied, sitting down. 

"You miss Asa?" 

"Yeah, guess you could say that. More for his quiddich skills over his character, though."  

At this, Lily cocked an eyebrow and opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out. 

"So, Sirius, you have a quiddich match tomorrow?" Marlene asks, ruffling Sirius' hair.

"Yeah, we do, against ickle Hufflepuff. Their best chasers have left, so this game should be easy."

ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ

60-10. That's how the game was going. Where did these insanely talented chasers come from? We were losing to the happy house. 

"Starr, please, please keep your eye on that damned quaffle. Reed, Adams, I know there was something between you, but put your heads together for the sake of Gryffindor securing a win. Clearwater, you're doing well cooperating with everyone. Sirius, pretend the bludger is Snivellus' face or something like that." I say hurriedly. 

"Gotcha captain!" Sirius said happily. Sergio Reed and Lauren Adams had a bit of a pained look on their faces as they looked at each other. Starr saluted me and walked back over to his broom. Upon Madame Hooche's whistle , we all followed suit and mounted our brooms.