chapter 24 - oblivious affections

november 30, 1976 

heads dormitory 

lily pov

ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ

I woke up this morning and felt a weight on my chest. Rubbing my eyes, they focus on the heavy textbook laying on me. Right, I had been doing homework last night and had probably fallen asleep. Shit! It was probably so late, I'm gonna be late to classes... oh, it's about 30 minutes until breakfast. I sit up completely after removing the textbook and throwing it to the floor with a loud clatter. Hopefully that didn't wake James up, these doors look a bit thin. After getting dressed and packing my school bag for the day, I walk out of my room and over to wake up James. We made an agreement a few weeks ago to wake each other up every morning. Probably would've been better to do that alone instead of at lunch, because I could've sworn I saw Peter slip Remus a few galleons under the table. 

"James, wake up." I said gently as I open his door and walk in. "James?" 

A very groggy James lifted his head up slightly before letting it drop back onto his pillow. 

"James, I'm gonna get a comb and flatten that mop of hair on your head." I say as I sit on the corner of his bed. That is the one thing that will make James sit up straighter than a plank. 

"Don't, or else you're gonna have to go on a date with me." James said, a grin spreading across his face. 

"Ugh, no way."  I said, scrunching up my nose in disgust. 

"Why is that, dear?" 

"I have a reputation, sweetheart." I say sweetly, ruffling his hair. "Off to breakfast, then."

"Nah, let's walk around the grounds."

"James-"

"We won't get caught." James says as he gets out of bed and pulls on a crumpled white shirt. 

"Sure, fine, let's go." 

James leads me out of the dorm and out to the courtyard. It was November, I knew that, but it seems my abysmally small head forgot to bring a thicker jumper. 

"Cold, Lily?" James asks, wrapping an arm around me. 

"No." I stay, stuffing my hands up into my sleeves. 

"Let's go to breakfast, then you'll warm up." 

"But it was your idea to come outside!"

"Ooh, you want to skive off classes?" 

"No. Let's go to breakfast." 

Walking into the great hall, I forgot that James' arm was still around me, making Sirius look at us with his eyebrows raised. 

"Well, well, well." Sirius says. 

"What is it?" I ask, cocking my head to the side. 

"Have something to tell us?" Marlene asked. 

"No?" James said "Where do you want to sit?"