chapter 18 - herbology and the hogwarts express

June 10, 1976

6th year greenhouse 

Lily POV

ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ

I can't believe how fast this year has gone by. It seems like yesterday James refused to put me down on the Hogwarts Express. Speaking of James, we're not dating. Even with that whole moment we had in the Hospital Wing, I feel nothing but friendly annoyance towards him. Yes, he's gone back to asking me out and levitating students in the hallways. Right now, however, was not a good time to think about James, as I'm supposed to be getting the pus out of a Bubotuber plant. 

"So how long til' she agrees to go out with him?" I hear Marlene say quietly to Alice.

"Not long. Bet 10 galleons it'll be before the end of next year." Alice whispered back. 

"You guys are NOT slick, I can hear everything you're saying." I say somewhat loudly. 

Before either of them could argue back, we heard a loud, high pitched, seemingly feminine scream. The looks we gave each other said it all: "Sirius did something dumb." 

"Black? Fancy telling us what the need to interrupt the collection of your Bubotuber pus with that scream was?" Professor Sprout asks sternly, looking in the direction of James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter. Marlene was also glaring at Sirius with a look that said "You did something dumb, didn't you?" 

"I er- got a bit of pus on my wrist." Sirius said, turning a vibrant shade of red very, very quickly. 

"Does anyone remember the precautions I expressly stated at the beginning of the lesson?" Professor Sprout said somewhat sarcastically. 

I raised my hand. 

"Evans, what's the answer?" Professor Sprout said. 

"Bubotuber pus can irritate the skin, which is why you wisely advised us to keep our dragon-hide gloves on." I say quickly. 

"Excellent. 10 points to Gryffindor." Professor Sprout says. "Now, this is the last class of your year, and it ends in 15 minutes. You all have collected a large stock of Bubotuber pus, so you may all go to your dormitories and relax. The train leaves after lunch, so you'd all better be packet. Good day to you all, I hope you have a lovely summer." 

We all gather our books and exit the greenhouse. I was almost to the courtyard when I felt someone put a hand on my shoulder. 

"Lilyyy." James said as I turned around. 

"What'd you need?" I say sarcastically, turning around to face him. He digs in his robe pockets for something. He finally pulls out a small brown bag and hands it to me. 

"I want you to grow these seeds over the summer, okay?" James says.

"What are they?" I ask, eyeing the bag suspiciously. 

"Yellow Wood-Sorrel." James said, grinning. 

"Why did you get me this random pack of a common muggle plant? Also, how?" I ask. 

"Never you mind, dear. I'm off to lunch. See you on the Express!"

ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ