chapter 15 - rain

February 24, 1976 

outside 

ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ

Lily POV 

James and I had walked, hand in hand, to the other side of the lake under a tree. He was shivering. 

"I-um grabbed your clothes. You look frigid." I say as I sheepishly hand him a bundle of clothes. 

"Thanks, but these swimming trunks are-"

"Subfervefacio." I cut him off, using the drying charm. 

"Wet. You really are bloody brilliant, Evans." James said as he pulled on his pants, shirt, tie and cloak. We sat in silence for a bit after that. 

"So, how's er- life?" I asked tentatively, seeing that James seemed pretty bummed after the second task. 

"Meaningless." James grumbled. 

"That was a mighty brave thing you did back there James, helping that Dominique girl like that." 

"Sure it was. I'm still last in the tournament." 

"And? This tournament can't define your life." 

"C-can I hold your hand?" James asked quietly and rather sheepishly. 

I let out a sigh. A little voice in my head then began talking. 

You're going out with Asa. 

"Sure." I said as evenly as possible, extending my hand and standing up. "C'mon, let's head back to the castle. It's starting to rain." James took my hand and wrapped his cloak around both of us

"You're trembling, love." James teased. 

You're going out with Asa.

"N-no I'm not!" I say stubbornly, but grinning. James swiftly lifts me into his arms and I start laughing. Merlin knows why. 

"I miss you a lot, Lils. You and Wood go out to much."

"Put me down and I'll reason with you." 

"Nah, I don't think so."

"Prat." 

"Why can't you let someone care for you?"

I was rather shocked by this. 

"Asa cares for me. He's a good guy, you know. I see the way you look at him, James. He treats me right and speaks very highly of you."

"Really?" James somewhat squeaked as he put me down. 

"Awww, look who has a heart under all that Quiddich masculinity." I teased. 

We were almost to the castle and I saw Asa waiting for me by the door. My eyes lit up.

"Asa! Love, thanks for waiting for me." I said, running to hug him. 

ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ

James POV

I basically felt my heart tear right in two. Here was the love of my life, with someone else. 

There's no point in hating someone you love. 

"Night, Lily. You too, Wood." I said evenly, quickly walking away from the two of them. 

I hurried up to the dorm and was welcomed back warmly by Remus, Peter, and Sirius. Looks like they nicked some food from the kitchens.

"Dig in, mate!" Sirius said happily, holding out a butterbeer. I took it gently out of his hand and went to my bed. 

"What's going on James? You seem a bit, well, physically you're soaked and you look like hell." Remus said carefully. 

"Thanks, Remus, I just got back." I snap reproachfully. Silence followed. 

"Have a nice snog with Lily?" Peter questioned. James couldn't deny it, Peter was a blithering idiot sometimes and really blunt. 

"You know, sometimes memories are the worst form of torture." 

There's no point in hating someone you love. 

ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ

author's note

hi guys!

small bonus chapter based around the cover image. 

also loads of props to pinterest who came in clutch with the dialogue prompts. 

also the line about getting back from hell if a quote from the movie Heathers (1989)

also, forgot to mention it, but in the last chapters I used direct quotes from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. 

(here's the Heather's thing, by the way

(here's the Heather's thing, by the way. cred to pinterest.) 

anyways, i hope you enjoyed this short chapter. year 6 is almost over, i promise. and another thing, yes, the hot air charm is a real charm, but the incantation is unknown, so I used Subfervefacio as it's the latin word for the verb form of 'hot'.

stay alive,

-mar