chapter 26 - date and late christmas

december 27, 1976 

potter residence 

lily POV

ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ

Honestly, James had the nicest parents ever. They were immediately accepting of our relationship, and were really excited to have me stay over for Christmas holiday. I had explained to James the whole 'we have to keep our relationship a secret for the sake of our friends', and he replied with his story about how Sirius told him about it through extensive stuttering and swearing profusely. We were all sitting around the table this morning, eating breakfast.

"You two have each others' presents, right? We were planning to open presents today, since you two weren't here on Christmas." James' mom said, making James and I turn bright red in the face, because we both hadn't bought each other gifts yet. 

"Er, actually, Mum, we were planning on having a date today and then buying presents if that's alright with you." James said. 

"Of course, that sounds fine, as long as you two are home by about 8:30." James' dad said, checking his watch. 

"Right, I'll clear the table and then we'll be off in an hour or two." James said, standing up. 

An hour or two later, we're in the car and on our way to the Leaky Cauldron. 

"Anything you want in particular, James?" I ask, breaking the silence. 

"Dunno, really, maybe something quiddich related?" James replies. 

"How vague." I said sarcastically. 

"What can I say, I like quiddich." James said, shrugging. "What do you want?"

"You can't just flip the question on me because you can't figure it out yourself!" I say, trying to sound annoyed, but failing because it's hard to be mad at James. 

"Sorry, want me to propose today?"

"Engagement is the worst possible way to hide a relationship." 

"Says the one that put 'Lily Potter' on her homework."

"That was an accident!" 

"Bloody hell Lily, you've had the same last name for 17 years!" 

"I, um, forgot?" 

"Love can make you forgetful, I suppose."

"Shut up." 

"Love you!"

"Love you too, you absolute dork." 

We pulled up to the Leaky Cauldron and made our way to the back alley, where James tapped the bricks in a meticulous beat of three taps, making the bricks undo themselves, slowly making a hole that the average person could fit through. We passed through, I, quite easily, and, James, being on the taller side, with minor difficulty. Taking my hand in his, we walked to a small wizarding tea shop, a cafe of sorts, and as we walked though the door, James' glasses fogged up.