Chapter 27

Hermione must have cried for the entire day. She couldn't stop thinking about what Sam did.

But of course, Hermione didn't believe about the love potion thing. Of course, deep down, she knew that she really loved Sam without any help from anything.

What Hermione couldn't bear was the thought of Sam lying on her whereabouts and activities.

What if Professor Slughorn did not catch them, would Hermione not also find out?

Has Sam been doing these things secretly? Hermione thought while she sniffled a sob that night, sleeping her tears away. Does Sam have no plan to tell her about what she's been doing? Is it really in a Slytherin's innate characteristic to be secretive? Sam's a Slytherin. I should know that better before I got myself into this position. But... what other things has she been keeping from me?

When they had Charms class the following day, Hermione couldn't help hearing others whisper behind her back about Sam. They were making fun of her. Hermione tried to ignore them but the grip on her quill made it difficult to write notes properly. Professor Flitwick was busy reading on his desk while words after words appeared magically on the chalkboard.

"Don't sweat it," Neville said beside her. "It will go away..."

Hermione looked at him, trying her best to hide her anger.

"If you'll react, it would only mean you're really affected. If you're affected, it would only mean that it's true," Neville went on. "Take it from someone who's been bullied for ages."

Hermione inhaled deeply and exhaled through her mouth. She needed to empty her thoughts about wanting to strangle those students behind her. She successfully managed to keep herself calm. But only until the end of the class.

As Hermione passed by the door to exit the room, Pansy suddenly blurted out, laughing. "Hey, Granger, did Sam really use love potion on you or did you use that on her?"

Hermione turned around and was about to slap her face when Ron and Harry stopped her, clutching her arms.

"It's not worth it, Hermione," Ron said.

Hermione was so furious, she almost screamed. Pansy laughed with her friends and left without any scratch.

Hermione tried to empty her thoughts about the entire incident and about Sam. She wanted to focus on her studies instead, trying to instill in her mind that they have exams next next week.

Sam was not yet around in the library for she had Defense Against the Dark Arts class at the time. Hermione knew Sam's schedule. But now, she wasn't sure anymore if Sam was really honest even with her class schedule.

Should Hermione ask for Sam's schedule slip? Or was that a little too much now? Sam lying really had a big impact on Hermione's trust.

Cormac suddenly took a seat beside Hermione, giving her a surprise. She wasn't aware when Cormac arrived in the library, or if he was following her around.

"Now I know why you're not interested in me," Cormac said, smirking. He was scanning the pages of Hermione's notebook.

Hermione would have punched his face if they weren't in the library. She kept on thinking of what Neville advised her to do.

To calm down. They will go away. In time.

Hermione took the notebook from Cormac's grasp.

Cormac went on, "You know better than to trust Slytherins... I once had a friend in their house.. Well, I thought he was a friend... But apparently he was using me to get some good remarks from the Professors-"

"It's not true," Hermione said, stopping Cormac.

"What's not true?"

"Sam didn't use any potion on me-"

"Hermione, why do you keep on denying it-"

Hermione closed her book with a force. Some students glanced at their direction.

"Because it's not true!" She spat angrily.

Madam Pince abruptly appeared before them, her nostrils flaring and eyes glaring, "Silence the two of you," she hissed. Then she slowly walked away after a few seconds.

Hermione opened her book once again. Cormac sighed deeply beside her then he whispered, "I mean if you're wise enough, you should use an antidote just to be sure."

"Shut it, Cormac," Hermione said, biting her lips to prevent herself from punching him in the face.

"Fine," Cormac exclaimed. "Don't think I didn't warn you. You're better off without her."

And with that, Cormac left her in peace.

Hermione was so furious at Cormac, she almost tore the book in front of her. Then she stood up. She needed to talk to Sam. She needed to understand why Sam did what she did. Was she really just generous to her brother? But Sam should have known better.

When she waited outside Sam's classroom that afternoon, Hermione thought about the right words to ask without triggering something. She hadn't talked to Sam properly after the incident in Professor Slughorn's office. Well, Hermione needed space for her thoughts.

Hermione repeated the things she was gonna say to Sam over in her head, that she doesn't believe the rumors. That she really loves her. That she doesn't care if Sam did those things for her brother. As long as she wouldn't do that again. As long as she wouldn't hide anything from her again.

As students scrambled out the room, Hermione waited nervously. But as fewer and fewer students came out, Sam's absence was evident.

Hermione wondered if Sam didn't went to her class that day or if she lied about her schedule too. She shook her head. Hermione should not be thinking like this. She should have no doubts on Sam. She should trust her when Sam said it was that one time only.

When Hermione was about to leave, she noticed that there were still students left inside the classroom. Two students in Slytherin robes, actually. And they were hugging.

Hermione's stomach lurched and twisted. For it was obvious those two individuals hugging were Sam and Rose.

Hermione's eyes suddenly became watery. She bit her lips to stop herself from crying. The longer she stared at them, the more it hurt.

Hermione dashed forward through the corridors, almost running, away from the classroom. Away from them. Away from everyone.

Hermione tried to stop herself from crying but she couldn't help it. Tears just flowed uncontrollably down her cheeks.

As soon as she made it to her bedroom, Hermione flopped down unto her bed and cried like a mad person. She didn't understand what she was feeling. She just knew she was hurting, that she was betrayed.

Ginny and Parvati tried to console her, probably unaware of what Hermione just saw.

(Author's note : Thank you for reading my story. Sorry for the slow update. I've been busy on Netflix. Hahahaha Crash Landing on You and Money Heist.

Also, I just watched Portrait of a Lady on Fire (not on Netflix yet). It's the most amazing lesbian movie I have seen since movie Carol. It's worth the time and tears. Hahaha.

Enjoy your weekend guys. Stay safe and healthy.)